Presuming you mean the VRP with time windows variant:
Both VRP example variants follows their research spec (see docs for link).
The VRP with time windows spec indeed just counts the distance as time in the score function,
so given that the distance is specified in longitude/latitude, that means a vehicle has a static speed (whatever that amounts to).

The way most implementations deal with this (as well with other real-world requirements),
is to replace the connections from customer A to customer B
with real GPS navigation times.
See
  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19410972/optaplanner-vrp-edge-weights-need-to-use-actual-gps-data-instead-of-euclidean-di

Also note that you can customize the score function (vehicleRoutingScoreRules.drl) to your business's needs.
Depending on your business, you might want to favor time optimization, fuel consumption optimization or a weighted score of both.