Hello Rustlers,

I'll be writing here more with more details soon. For now, a few quick
comments:

   - I'm really glad that Mozilla and the Rust team are prioritizing
   package management. An open source language ecosystem really lives or dies
   based on how easy it is to share code, and writing a world-class package
   manager (as brson put it) takes time, especially when you account for the
   inevitable and important iteration that comes from real-world usage.
   - There's a lot about package management that's well-understood and
   somewhat language agnostic. On the other hand, there are things that are
   specific to native code or even more specific to Rust that a Rust package
   manager need to account for. My goal is to use well-known best practices
   for the former, and avoid reinventing the wheel, without losing track of
   what makes Rust unique or different. Carl and I are both the creators of
   the predominant Ruby package manager (bundler) and day-to-day production
   users of Rust (really!) at the company we founded. We think that mix should
   enable us to balance both of those priorities.
   - Over the next month or two, we plan to prioritize getting to regular,
   working milestones with Cargo. These milestones will not always reflect our
   plan for the final workflow that we expect with Cargo, but having
   real-world working code is very important when building something the size
   and scope of Cargo. We plan to share design documents (both on the internal
   architecture and expected workflows) as we work. We started work 10 days
   ago, and we already have a primitive "cargo" compiling one of our libraries
   based on its Cargo manifest, but so far only via very simple plumbing
   commands that don't reflect the actual workflow we intend.

In general, some guiding principles for the project:

   - It should be possible for new users of Rust to use Cargo to experiment
   with Rust and its library ecosystem and have success quickly.
   - Users of Cargo should get deterministic builds out of the box. If I
   build an artifact on one machine, it should be possible to build that same
   artifact on another machine with exactly the same source of every
   dependency, and exactly the same options.
   - Users of Cargo should be able to update dependencies with as minimal
   impact on other dependencies as possible. If I update a utility library,
   Cargo should avoid updates to other, unrelated libraries by design.
   - Cargo should support cross-compilation out of the box. As long as your
   version of Rust and its standard library are compiled for the expected
   targets, a single line of configuration should be enough to get builds for
   those targets
   - Cargo should support the common lifecycle for packages: a package
   starts out as a part of an existing project, moves to Github for easier
   sharing across multiple projects and eventually the open source community,
   and finally is published to a central repository with a version number.
   This means that all three kinds of "sources" (local file system, github,
   and central package repository) should be supported by the default
   distribution of Cargo.

We plan to publish more detail really soon, as well as more information on
what we've already built.

Please feel free to ask questions :)

Yehuda Katz
(ph) 718.877.1325