Hi, thanks for your quick replies!

I am thinking that maybe one solution could be that the C code calls
an init function that calls native::start and provides a function pointer
that start calls back into C. That way the C main thread will have a rust
runtime in the background, I *think*?.

I hope this would be possible at least, the important thing is that it can
be
in the main thread, as often mobile platforms require to run in the main
thread because the GUI library needs it for some reason. At least in iOS.
(I am building a helper lib for making apps easier with our service)

Other than that I don't really know how much I can restructure my code to
work without (objective-)C(#) not having to do anything special. The way
the library will be structured is that it has an internal thread where it
runs
at operation queue. Once that operation queue is empty the thread terminates
and if you add more operations to the queue the thread starts once again. So
a lot of the code will run in its own thread, which is at least good.
However
some of the code will work outside of the operation queue for things like
queries
that might use some kind of mutex to make sure it's not querying something
that
the operation queue is already processing. And for those mutexes to work it
probably
has to be within the same native::start... Unless I can use some kind of
unsafe C
mutex thing.

Thoughts?

Cheers!