On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Nick Cameron <li...@ncameron.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 6:19 AM, Gábor Lehel <glaebho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, this is a good step, as is delaying taking actions by a day as
>> proposed in the meeting itself.
>>

>> If you have any suggestions for how this regular email or the process in
>>> general could be improved, please let us know.
>>

>> Most fundamentally, what I'm wondering is, why do most of the things
>> discussed at the meetings need to be discussed separately in the first
>> place?
>>
>> Why not have those discussions directly in the comments for the
>> respective RFC PRs? Up to and including leaving comments like "we suggest
>> closing this, because {justification}, unless someone convinces us
>> otherwise", "we suggest merging this because {justification}", and so on.
>> In an ideal world, the meetings could merely ratify the decisions which
>> were already evident from the PR discussions themselves. This could also
>> help avoid situations where the two discussions end up disjoint in some
>> way, e.g. according to this week's meeting notes @pcwalton and @aturon
>> essentially recapitulated the exact same debate about the lifetime elision
>> "self rule" at the meeting which @aturon and I had previously gone through
>> in the PR comments.
>>

>> From the proposed-for-discussion list:
>>

>> https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/122 - Syntax sugar for
>>> prefix-style type parameter lists - ben0x539
>>>     Sugary syntax for putting a group of type parameters and their
>>> bounds before a group of functions. Motivation is our often unwieldly lists
>>> of type parameters.
>>>     Not much feedback, but mostly positive. Generally for the
>>> motivation, rather than the solution.
>>>     Recommend close in deference to RFC 135 (where clauses) which solve
>>> the motivating problem here, along with other issues.
>>>

>> The two are complementary, not substitutive. 122 allows factoring out
>> type parameter lists for multiple declarations. 135 allows writing them
>> differently.
>>
>> Please comment on the RFCs rather than replying to the mailing list. I'll
> make a note of this, but in the general case, I guarantee that  replies to
> the mailing list will get lost or forgotten. I agree the two RFCs are not
> substitutive and could both be accepted, but they do both tackle the same
> problem (ugly type param lists).

OK. I didn't miss that admonishment in the original e-mail. I had the
impression that it referred to general commentary, rather than replies to
specific things in the e-mail itself. It feels strange to reply to a
statement in a venue where the statement hasn't been made.

>> From the meeting itself, because it concerns process:
>>

>>>    - nrc: Do we want to keep this open? It's the <> to [] changes.
>>>    - acrichto: It's so new, I don't think we should close it.
>>>    - nrc: Even so, if we're not going to do it, I don't think we should
>>>    keep it open.
>>>
>>> I don't see what could have been gained by closing it. Potential
>> scenarios if it's left open:
>>
>>  (1) Participants end up convincing each other than the change is not
>> worth doing. (This is what ended up happening in this case.)
>>  (2) Contrary to expectations, a consensus emerges in favor of the
>> change. Maybe there is some factor that hadn't been taken into account
>> previously, or the arguments of one side end up convincing the other. I
>> think this might be useful information to have learned. Then you can
>> evaluate the decision on the merits.
>>
>> Whereas if it's closed early:
>>
>>  (3) People are left with the opinions they already had, and now might
>> also have the impression that Mozilla has heavy-handedly shut down the
>> debate.
>>
>> I mean, possibly leave a comment like "Just so you know, we are extremely
>> unlikely to do this, but feel free to keep discussing", but I think that
>> was clear to everyone at the outset. I just don't see what could have been
>> gained by preventing the discussion from playing itself out.
>>
>> We will (at some point) have a separate discussion on the policy, as was
> briefly touched upon in the meeting we decided it was a policy question and
> we shouldn't do anything in this case.
>
> My motivation for early closure of some RFCs is to be honest - I don't
> want to waste people's time, energy, or emotional investment arguing about
> it if they have the (false) impression that it might change. As you suggest
> leaving a comment and leaving the RFC open is probably a better way to do
> this (although you can still comment on a closed PR, so I'm not sure there
> is really much difference, other than whether the RFC shows up in the list
> of open PRs). Another reason is simply that I don't like to see pointless
> arguing, and I feel that on RFCs like this which come down to taste, it
> really is arguing and not discussion. I think the Rust community would be a
> better place without it. Of course, I could just ignore the GitHub spam,
> but I would rather the arguing just doesn't happen. FWIW, your point 1 is
> very valid and probably outweighs my points, just saying that there are
> other disadvantages. The chance of 2 happening in a case like this seems so
> small that I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> Cheers, Nick
>

>From a philosophical perspective, as with democracy (which I recognize this
is not), I think the value is not necessarily in the outcomes but in the
process itself. People are more likely to be constructive and accepting of
the outcome if they feel that they've gotten their fair say. (For what it's
worth, I didn't perceive this particular discussion as arguing.)