  From: roy meissner
  To: S Scale List
  Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:44 PM
  Subject: {S-Scale List} grades

  To determine the grades on my layout, I use an idea I found in an old MR
article on making spline roadbed. I use a 24" level. To be 100 % correct, the
level should be 25" long, but 24" will work. Since I have a milling machine I
like to play with, I added 1" to the level. Now make an adjustable peice on one
end of the level. Then mark in 1/4" increments on the adjustable piece. If you
want a 1% grade, set the adjustable piece to the first mark, 1/4". The bottom
of the adjustable piece is now 1/4" below the bottom of the level. Put the
level on the roadbed with the 1/4" piece on the low end of the grade. When the
bubble in the level is in the middle of the marks, you have a 1% grade. The
idea is that 25" is 1/4 of 100", so when you put the 25" level on the road bed
at 1/4", you measure 1/4th of 100" of the grade. The increase in height for 25"
is 1/4" for 1% grade. It may be a little off on cur Roy J Meissner

Yahoo! Groups Links