Being somewhat incompetent I have stored my Scalecoat in the Scalecoat jars
they are sold in. I've been doing this for years with no problems. Maybe it's
the reducer I use, Xylol.  maybe it's that I replace the the O2 with CO2 after
I open the bottle, or it could be the plasma vortex's around here. I think it's
because I make very sure that no lacquer thinner ever comes into contact with
the paint, and I make sure that the bottle is air tight when I put the lid back
on. That means sometimes I have to make a new gasket

The one problem I have had  is the no longer available colors, (D&RGW Aspen
Gold) and  I'm also tired of buying the stuff by the box only to discover that
the regular black, S10, which should dry to a gloss is instead a flat black. I
did cure that by buying a quart of Dupont Centari #99, (Pitch Black). Very odd
thing is it is just like Scalecoat, same odor, same reducer, same results.

 This has actually become a mute point. I thought I might get into custom
painting if I tried hard enough. I was charging about $3.25 and hour, I raised
my prices to $4.15 an hour but finally gave up on the whole idea. Everybody
wanted either a special club price or quantity discounts, you know,
---CHEAPER---.

J. RUSTERMIER

--- In S-Scale@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Lane" <bill@...> wrote:

> Someone I paint for is MUCH into mixing custom colors - especially for
> boxcars to get variety. For my own modeling I typically am not into mixing
> custom colors. To assure color accuracy he has sent me Scalecoat paint in
> mason canning jars. It could be a substantial quantity starting with 3-5 two
> ounce bottles. I try to open Scalecoat paint and use the whole bottle in one
> sitting for the best results. 6+ ounces of paint will cover a LOT of cars.
>

> Some of the jars have been here for at least a year - probably more. I just
> opened a jar and painted a car with great results. I attribute the results
> to the storing of the paint in the mason jars.
>

> Thank You,
> Bill Lane
>
> Modeling the Mighty Pennsy & PRSL in 1957 in S Scale since 1987
>
> See my finished models at:
>  <http://www.lanestrains.com/> http://www.lanestrains.com
> Look at what has been made in PRR in S Scale!
>

> See my layout progress at:
>
>  <http://www.lanestrains.com/My_Layout.htm>
> http://www.lanestrains.com/My_Layout.htm
>
> Custom Train Parts Design
>  <http://www.lanestrains.com/SolidWorks_Modeling.htm>
> http://www.lanestrains.com/SolidWorks_Modeling.htm
>
> PRR Builders Photos Bought, Sold & Traded
> (Trading is MUCH preferred)
>  <http://www.lanestrains.com/PRRphotos.xls>
> http://www.lanestrains.com/PRRphotos.xls
>
> ***Join the PRR T&HS***
> The other members are not ALL like me!
>  <http://www.prrths.com/> http://www.prrths.com
>  <http://www.lanestrains.com/PRRTHS_Application.pdf>
> http://www.lanestrains.com/PRRTHS_Application.pdf
>
> Join the Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines Historical Society
> It's FREE to join!  <http://www.prslhs.com/> http://www.prslhs.com
> Preserving The Memory Of The PRSL

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional