I completely forgot about the husky stacks and coal porters.  I also has
helping Jim King with the Reefer and completely forgot about that as well.
However, that's nowhere near enough to model today.  There isn't even a 50' or
60' high cube box.  Those are also needed.  I am continuing to push for these
things, but more need to get active in contacting the manufacturers.

Thanks
Michael Ostertag

--- In S-Scale@yahoogroups.com, Bob Werre <bob@...> wrote:

> Ken,
>
> I could probably be described as a bi-polar modeler to some degree.  My
> land based (home) layout is a traditional steam/diesel beast, but our
> club as a nice series of modules where we run most anything including
> fairly modern stuff which I normally provide.  I run both plastic and
> brass engines (SD-60's <brass, UP & plastic, BN>, SD-40, GP-30's, U-25
> dressed for the Milw, GP-35's in CNW & UP.  So if your doing more of a
> switching or a shortline layout, the older but still modern engines
> might still be a good fit.
>
> Michael's description is indeed bleak but since he's fairly new to S
> he's missed a few things (and Ron I'll be awaiting a commission check
> for this! <G>).
>
> Desplains produces a Husky double stack car with a variety of containers
> and decals for them.  They have also produced  Coal Porters with many
> car numbers.  So that does fill some gaps.  Smoky Mountain also has a
> mechanical reefer on the books to do.
>
> Michael also talks about the modern-ish tank cars.  These were produced
> under three names with the last one being Iron Horse.  And as he states,
> they are pretty decent models--I have several including a 8 car Tank
> Train that I prize.  These tanks pop up on ebay fairly often.  Also note
> that the diesel parts from BTS and the former Southwind are the same
> items--again just a name/owner change.
>
> Producing contemporary items in S has been discussed many times, as they
> certainly are needed.  The problem is that manufacturers with the
> exception of Lionel, generally don't have the investment money to
> develop an entire line of contemporary products without  immediate
> return.  Lionel probably took a gamble on making their new engines with
> scale options, but it's likely most will be held as collector pieces or
> run on hi-rail layouts, with only the minority seeing scale rails.
>
> Bob Werre
> PhotoTraxx
>

> > Ken,
> >
> > I am a recent convert to S Scale myself. I have only been in S for the
> > past 2 years, coming over from HO scale. I am modeling the Milwaukee
> > Road in the 1978 to 1981 era. I too have found it difficult to find era
> > appropriate equipment. However, after just this short time, I feel I am
> > knowledgeable enough to share with you what I know.
> >
> > Locomotives:
> > Well if you are looking to model today's world, then your only option is
> > Lionel's SD70ACe. Also, for 2013, Lionel has come out with the GE
> > ES44AC in the NS Heritage Series. I haven't seen one yet, or even heard
> > if anyone has one. They look pretty good in the catalog, but how close
> > to scale accuracy they are I don't know. Lionel has also produced a GE
> > U33C, and it looks good, but needs a little work to actually make it
> > scale (attaching pilots, coupler boxes, etc.). Otherwise, the next most
> > modern engine is American Model's SD60. Those look good as well, but
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: