Dave, I hope someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to report on
what railroad prototype was used for making the Chester or JC Models  cars.
But I doubt they were based on the Southern  Crescent cars.

Chester and JC Models cars have ACF fluting.  I have seen them  described
as Pullman Standard sides but this is incorrect.  The  prototype cars on the
Crescent, including those that survived to operate on  the Southern Crescent
in the 1970s, were primarily Pullman Standard and Budd  cars.

Southern did have two ACF Baggage Dorm cars (710,711), built for the
Crescent that survived into the Southern Crescent era.  Plus there was  an ACF
Baggage-mail car (3589) built for the Royal Palm that was  occasionally used
on the Southern Crescent.  Some of the Chester/JC  Models sides could have
been based on those cars.

Southern also used at least three ACF coaches on the Southern Crescent
that had been built for the Royal Palm.  But most of the coaches on the
Southern Crescent were Budd or PS cars.

All of the dining cars on the Southern Crescent were Budd cars.  The
window arrangements on the Chester/JC Models dining cars were very close to the

Budd prototypes, but again, the fluting of the Chester models was ACF.

I really wonder if the Chester JC Models car sides were based on any one
railroad.  But I would like to know.  Maybe someone else can chime  in.

 - Earl Henry, Nashville

In a message dated 9/28/2013 9:33:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
riroc...@att.net writes:

I have surmised for many years that the old Chester streamlined  cars with
the stamped aluminum sides were patterned after the cars of the  SOU's
Southern Crescent passenger train.  Are there any known exceptions  to this?
Dave Engle