>From the get-go in early 1960's when I first scratch built my turnouts, I
soldered the point rails to the throw bar.

Over the years a solder point would break, and at times I would have to
replace the throw bar too, but for the overall effect, broken solder joints
caused very little problem on my Jefferson Central.

A friend scratch built his switches back in the early days and he made a
eyepiece on each of the point ends and screwed in the points. To me, that
was a lot of work, and really caused a different kind of problem, the screws
would work loose.

Hinged switch points were needed on the larger code rails, but not anymore
with most of us in code 125 and less.

Seems switches have always been a problem to S gaugers, but the challenge 0f
building switches is not a big one, however it would be nice to have RTR
switches like in all the other scales.

As I've said before, on my model railroad we fix and repair when needed just
like the prototype. In recent years even Frank titman's Spiral Hill switches
would "whack-out" and he would cuss at them. Bert Mahr would repair them for
Frank and at times Bert said it wasn't an easy task.

But heck, that's what friends are for! Now the SPIRAL HILL isn't anymore,
only fond memories of the good old days of the gang meeting at Frank's home.
I miss it and I miss Frank in particular, his knowing smile was infectious!

Happy Smiles to you, till we meet again!

"S"ee Ya,

 Bill (Fraley)