boB

Am I understanding this...you are looking for an HO something from which to
build an S scale Civil War era 4-4-0?  If so you might have better luck going up
a scale to O.  Bachmann's On30 4-4-0 broke my heart because its prototype was
just to tiny to convert to S standard gauge, but if might work for a small
1860s-era loco.  Also if you hold on to your old Dispatches, check page 19 of
the June 2003 issue.  Paul Raham converted a Northwest Short Line On3 Spartan
series loco into a fine looking S standard gauge engine.  He did say it was a
lot of work and I don't know how many if any of that loco are stall to be found.

Cheers
Jim.