Hi Jeff,

> Is it possible for s3cmd to read from stdin and write to stdout?

Yes, 'get' can be done to stdout, simply use 's3cmd get s3://... -' and
it'll print the file content to stdout.

However 'put' can't read from stdin (yet), because Amazon has to know
the input file size before upload and that's not known when reading from
stdin. Indeed, s3cmd could save the input stream to a temporary file (or
keep it in memory for small inputs) to find the size but that is not
implemented yet.

> I do level dumps that I save on a local disk.  Although I do not want to gzip
> them here (just makes retrieving a file from the dump that much slower) I do
> want to gzip -9 the file before I put it into my S3 bucket.
>
> Alternatively, can I use gzip as the encryption program, with the appropriate
> flags in the encrypt and decrypt commands?  I tried this but got a python
> error--I may not have had the python syntax correct in the s3cfg file.

It is probably possible to abuse --encrypt for compression, however I'll
better add --compress option for that, what do you think? ;-)

Michal