Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FHLuJD/_WnJAA/cUmLAA/1TwplB/TM

[The following are two reports from the Hindu on the public hearing
held on 3rd March on the proposed uranium mining and processing in
the Nalgonda district of Andhra Pradesh. (received from Sukla Sen)]

<http://www.thehindu.com/2005/03/04/stories/2005030414000300.htm>http://www.thehindu.com/2005/03/04/stories/2005030414000300.htm
Sparks fly at UCIL public hearing

By Our Staff Reporter

SERIPALLY (NALGONDA DT.), MARCH 3. The Uranium Corporation of India
Limited (UCIL) has said the State Government's proposal to accord
permission for uranium mining at Peddagattu in Nalgonda district is
pending with the Union Government.

In his response to the issues raised by the public during the
environmental public hearing on the proposed processing unit here on
Thursday, the UCIL consultant, Murthy, said that "the proposal is
under consideration." He also said the cost of the project, mining
plus processing, was Rs.460 crores.

In his opening remarks, a top official of the Corporation, Malhotra,
argued that all the technologies in the country would be wasted, if
"we don't have uranium.'' He further said that "it is the policy and
culture of the Department of Atomic Energy to carry out the
developmental work in an absolutely safe manner."

However, noted anti-nuclear activist and columnist, Praful Bidwai,
scoffed at the safety measures being taken by the DAE.

`Terrible record'

"It has terrible safety record and health hazards of uranium are
high," he observed.

Noted physicist, Dr.Surendra Gadekar, made a comparison between the
Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) reports prepared for Mallapur and
Seripally projects and asked the UCIL to learn how to prepare a
perfect report before taking up a project.

Dr. Sanghamitra Gadekar said that uranium mining and processing had a
killing impact on public in general and women in particular. Muvva
Rama Rao of the Jana Vignana Vedika and Pasya Padma of AP Mahila
Samakya called upon people to wage another war against the uranium
project. They were referring to the Telangana peasants' armed
struggle carried by the people against Nizam.

`Propaganda'

The UCIL came in for a sharp criticism for allegedly printing a
pamphlet to crate public opinion in favour of the plant.

"Unknown persons circulated a pamphlet carrying the versions of 39
persons who had visited Jadugua to know the impact of uranium. Who is
behind such propaganda? I would like to know from the UCIL,'' the
first speaker at the venue and Alagadapa sarpanch, V.Panduranga Rao,
said.

Interestingly, some of the speakers, who were part of the 39-member
contingent, alleged that the UCIL had not allowed them to roam freely
in and around Jaduguda. "They restricted our movement. We could not
meet the people of our choice,'' the then Seripally sarpanch and
Devarakonda MLA, Ravindra Kumar, said.

The last speaker, Satyalakshmi of the Movement Against Uranium
Project, criticized the UCIL for its "failure to respond'' to the
objections raised at the public hearing.

Expressing satisfaction over the proceedings, the Collector,
K.Vijayanand, asked the participants not to suspect the integrity of
the officials involved in the exercise. ''Every thing is recorded. We
don't distort anything,'' he said.

<http://www.thehindu.com/2005/03/04/stories/2005030406890500.htm>http://www.thehindu.com/2005/03/04/stories/2005030406890500.htm

Opposition to uranium processing plant overwhelming

By Our Staff Reporter

SERIPALLY (NALGONDA DT.), MARCH 3. Environmentalists, people's
representatives, political leaders and local tribals opposed the
proposal to construct the uranium processing unit at Seripally in
Devarakonda mandal of Nalgonda district.

Of the 60 persons, who took part in the environment public hearing
held by the Pollution Control Board here on Thursday, as many as 57
persons said a firm "no'' to the Uranium Corporation of India
Limited's proposal to set up the Rs.372-crore processing plant. Those
who raised serious objection to the plan included the Nalgonda MP,
Suravaram Sudhakar Reddy, the Devarakonda MLA, Ravindra Kumar, the
Seripally sarpanch, R. Sakru Naik, eminent anti-nuclear activists,
Praful Bidwai of New Delhi, Surendra Gadekar and Sanghamitra Gadekar
of Gujarat, apart from a large number of locals, predominantly
lambadas.

`We want water'

``Please leave us alone. If you are sincere enough in developing our
area, please provide us water so that we can cultivate our fields,''
said majority of the locals. In a letter that was addressed to the
PCB officials, the Nalgonda MP expressed reservation even against
mining of uranium at Paddgattu in Pedda Adisarlapally mandal. All the
environmentalists and scientists demanded the same.

The opposition to the project was so strong that three persons, who
tried to defend the UCIL's proposal, were loudly booed off the dais.
The police and the MLA had to intervene to control the irate
protesters from coming towards the dais.

A large contingent of police led by two Additional Superintendents of
Police -- Ravinder and Krishna Swamy -- was deployed in and around
the venue fearing trouble from local people.

Tension at venue

The tribals had to trek about 2 km in the scorching sun to reach the
public hearing venue, which was reportedly shifted from Seripally
village to an open space near the highway. The hearing lasted more
than five hours.

Tension prevailed at the venue when an environmental activist,
Saraswathi, alleged that an official of the UCIL shoved her and tore
an anti-uranium wall poster she was holding. Though the UCIL team
tried to allay the fears of the public, locals raised slogans against
the project compelling the officers to cut short their presentation.

The district Collector, K. Vijayanand, gave an opportunity to almost
all the persons who desired to express their opinion on the project.
However, environmentalists and anti-uranium activists took objection
to his decision to call off the public hearing without giving his
concluding remarks.

May 1998 - March 2002:
<groups.yahoo.com/group/sap/messages/1>
Feb. 2001 - to date:
<groups.yahoo.com/group/SAAN_/messages/1>

To subscribe send a blank message to:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

South Asians Against Nukes Website:
www.s-asians-against-nukes.org

SOUTH ASIANS AGAINST NUKES (SAAN):
An informal information platform for activists and scholars concerned about the
dangers of Nuclearisation in South Asia
SAAN Website:
http://www.s-asians-against-nukes.org

SAAN Mailing List: