South Asia Citizens Wire   |  14 June,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Pakistani Seminary Probed in Wave of Militant Attacks (John Lancaster and Kamran Khan)
[2] Bangladesh: Debating the Ahmadiyya ban (Naeem Mohaiemen and Zafar Sobhan)
[3] Pakistan: Road to perdition (Mahmood Farooqui)
[4] India / Mauritius: Bonding without bigotry (Dileep Padgaonkar)
[5] Kashmir: Shame (Bashir Manzar)
[6] Indian: Silence Or Ruckus? How the Bharatiya Mundan Party took the experience of defeat
(Githa Hariharan)
[7] India: The documentary film 'Aakrosh' and its battles with the Censor Board
[8] Viability of Islamic Science - Some Insights from 19th Century India (S Irfan Habib)
[9] Book Review: Amn Ki Tasveerein: Peace Can Be Achieved Piece by Piece (An anthology of poems by children)
[10] India Pakistan Arms Race and Militarisation Watch Compilation # 143

--------------

[1]

Washington Post [USA]
June 13, 2004; Page A22

AT AN ISLAMIC SCHOOL, HINTS OF EXTREMIST TIES
Pakistani Seminary Probed in Wave of Militant Attacks

By John Lancaster and Kamran Khan
Washington Post Foreign Service

KARACHI, Pakistan -- Gracious and fluent in English, which he said he learned while growing up in South Africa, the bearded religious scholar welcomed a foreign visitor onto the well-kept grounds of the Jamiat-ul-Uloom Islamiya, one of the country's largest Sunni Muslim seminaries.

"I will answer all of your questions," said the scholar, Ismail Mulla, as an attendant poured cups of sweet, milky tea. Nearby, students in prayer caps strolled across a white-marble courtyard, hunched over religious texts in sweltering classrooms or sat cross-legged on carpets for a midday meal of mutton and flatbread.

As Mulla described it, the institution has one purpose: to prepare young men for a life of propagating Islam. "We teach basically the Koran and the Sunnah" -- the sayings of the prophet Muhammad -- said Mulla.

But the placid setting belied what some analysts and police investigators have said is a link between some people at the seminary and Islamic extremists responsible for a wave of attacks against foreigners, senior government officials and religious minorities over the last few years.

The seminary, or madrassa, had been led by Mufti Nizamuddin Shamzai, until he was gunned down in front of it on May 30. Shamzai, an associate of Osama bin Laden and Taliban leader Mohammad Omar, publicly urged his followers to wage holy war against U.S. forces in Afghanistan. A number of former students at the madrassa are being held at the U.S. detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, according to a May 4 report in the English-language newspaper Dawn.

Certain students or graduates of the madrassa have been implicated in an escalating series of attacks on members of the minority Shiite Muslim population, including the suicide bombing of a Shiite mosque that killed 23 worshipers on May 7, police said. That bombing marked the opening salvo in a surge of extremist violence -- including a brazen daylight attack Thursday on the motorcade of a senior army general -- that has killed more than 70 people in Karachi, the country's largest and most economically important city, in little more than five weeks.

Mulla, who was designated to speak for the organization, dismissed charges that the school is linked to terrorist groups. "Right next to us is a police station, so these are all lies," he said.

More broadly, the bloodletting has cast a spotlight on the nexus between some of Pakistan's estimated 10,000 madrassas and armed extremist groups. These groups once operated with the backing of the country's security services but more recently have targeted the government of Gen. Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan's president, in response to his support for the U.S.-led war on terrorism.

The government has not followed through on pledges to regulate the madrassas -- including plans to require the teaching of secular subjects such as math and science -- and to control their funding, some of which comes from radical sympathizers in Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries. Musharraf is reluctant to enforce the regulation, analysts said, because he wants to remain on good terms with radical Islamic political parties. The parties, along with the army, constitute a vital part of his power base, even if he has little use for their ideology.

"This government has done nothing to curb religious extremism in Karachi," said Samina Ahmed, who heads the Islamabad office of the International Crisis Group, a Brussels-based nonprofit that specializes in conflict resolution. "The madrassas are flourishing."

Government officials said most madrassas do not promote extremist violence. They described them as an important part of Pakistan's social safety net, providing free schooling and often room and board for hundreds of thousands of impoverished young people.

"If there are one or two rogue elements in any institution, it certainly doesn't seem prudent to close down the entire madrassa," said Interior Minister Faisel Saleh Hayat said in a telephone interview from Islamabad. "Such rogue elements can be found in any institution."

Hayat rejected criticism of the government on regulating the madrassas, saying the new federal budget will address modernizing their curriculum.

But the madrassas are likely to resist.

"Why do we have to change our curriculum?" asked Mulla, the Islamic scholar, noting that his madrassa -- while concentrating on religious studies -- already requires three years of schooling in math, science, English and social studies. In any case, he added, "do we go to the universities and say, 'You're teaching engineering, now you have to teach the Koran?' It's our right. Why should they interfere?"

Over the last two decades, military and civilian governments have encouraged the growth of the madrassa system, which has provided recruits for extremist groups allied with Pakistan's security forces. Many of the former students have become fighters in Afghanistan and in Indian-held Kashmir.

As part of his policy U-turn after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States, Musharraf has taken a number of steps to sever the ties between the government and extremist groups, some of which were banned in 2002. By all accounts, however, most madrassas have yet to change their way of doing business, and continue to churn out thousands of religious zealots yearly.

The Jamiat-ul-Uloom Islamiya is a case in point.

Founded in the 1950s, the madrassa consists of a large walled compound whose red-painted minarets overlook a busy commercial thoroughfare in the Binori neighborhood of this overcrowded port city of more than 10 million people. The madrassa serves roughly 10,000 students, most from Pakistan but some from other countries such as Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia, according to Mulla, 47, who is of Pakistani origin. He studied at the madrassa and returned here from Durban, South Africa, seven years ago to teach. The students, who range in age from 5 to 40, are schooled in the fundamentalist Deobandi tradition, which is similar to the austere Wahhabi version of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia.

"Every Muslim is a fundamentalist, and he should be," said Mulla, a tall, sinewy man with a stiff beard. "They should be practicing their religion to the teeth."

Though Mulla said the madrassa has no formal relationship with extremist groups, the late rector, Shamzai, made no secret of his sympathies. During the early 1990s, Pakistani intelligence officials said, Shamzai helped launch Harkat ul-Mujaheddin, which provided fighters for the insurgency against Indian forces in Kashmir and subsequently was blamed for the murders of five Western tourists in the disputed province. The leader of the group, Maulana Fazlul Rahman Khalil, was his former student at the madrassa.

In a 2002 interview, Shamzai boasted of his ties to another former student, Maulana Masood Azhar, a radical cleric imprisoned by Indian authorities and released after his followers hijacked an Indian Airlines jet to Kandahar, Afghanistan, in late 1999. A few months after that, Shamzai appeared with Azhar at the Karachi Press Club when Azhar announced the founding of Jaish-e-Muhammad, which was implicated in the December 2001 attack on the Indian Parliament complex in New Delhi and has been branded a terrorist group by the United States.

A soft-spoken man who died at 75 , Shamzai said in the 2002 interview that bin Laden had been "kind enough" to invite him to his son's wedding in Kandahar in 1998. Shamzai also considered himself a friend and admirer of Omar, the fugitive Taliban leader, according to Mulla. Following the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan, Shamzai issued numerous fatwas, or religious edicts, urging Muslims to rush to the aid of the Taliban.

"We support anybody that holds the banner of Islam," Mulla said. "We are all Taliban. You can say that."

The madrassa has also been accused of fostering violence against minority Shiite Muslims. One of its more notorious former students, for example, was Azam Tariq, the head of the anti-Shiite group Sipah-i-Sahaba, who was assassinated in last October in Islamabad. At the time of his death, Azam had 28 criminal cases pending against him, 18 of which involved sectarian violence, according to Muddassir Rizvi, an analyst at the International Crisis Group.

Recently, police have traced the May 7 bombing of the Hyderi mosque, a sandstone structure on the grounds of a colonial-era school, to a student at the madrassa, Qari Ghulam Murtaza. Although he had not completed his studies, Murtaza, in his early twenties, often led prayers at the Quba mosque in Karachi's Baghdadi district, where he recruited and "brainwashed" the young police trainee who carried out the suicide bombing, according to a senior investigator.

Another investigator described Murtaza as "very close" to Shamzai.

Qari Ahmad, the imam of the mosque, a simple structure whose main entrance opens onto a litter-strewn alleyway, said in an interview this week that Murtaza, who has since disappeared, went to Afghanistan twice to wage holy war against U.S.-led forces there. But Ahmad said that if Murtaza harbored any ill feelings toward Shiites, he kept them to himself. "I have no idea why he did it," Ahmad said. "I've never heard anything against Shiites here."

The Hyderi bombing set off a wave of violence that is still reverberating here. Three weeks after the attack, in an apparent act of retaliation, gunmen firing assault rifles from a car and a motorcycle killed Shamzai as he left his apartment across the street from the madrassa. The killing took place at about 7:30 a.m., triggering riots by Shamzai's students and followers.

A day later, a suicide bomber walked into another Shiite mosque less than a mile from the madrassa, detonating a blast so powerful that it split the concrete dome overhead. Sixteen worshipers died.

Mulla, the madrassa spokesman, said that if Murtaza was involved in the first bombing, "it wasn't because of us." In any case, he said, the school should not be held responsible for the actions of individuals. "If he's part of any organization, I can't do anything about it."

______

[2]

The Daily Star [Bangladesh]
June 14, 2004

DEBATING THE AHMADIYYA BAN
Naeem Mohaiemen and Zafar Sobhan

The two recently engaged in a free-spirited debate about the Ahmadiyya book ban and the state of human rights in Bangladesh.

Mohaiemen: Our government must come to its senses and lift the ban. What is accomplished by this ban? Peace and stability has not been restored. The Khatme Nabuwot has actually increased its campaign since the ban. Now they have given a June 30 deadline of declaring Ahmadiyyas non-Muslim. They have started calling themselves the "International Khatme Nabuwot" (makes you wonder who is funding them?). They have formed an executive committee with 33 members which had pledged to go from village to village in Bangladesh until all 91 Ahmadiyya mosques are liberated. In Rangpur, they kidnapped and tortured 15 Ahmadiyyas, forcing them to do tawba and renounce Ahmadiyya Islam. What kind of Islam is this? Did the Prophet Mohammed (SM) teach us to torture in the name of Islam? Khatme Nabuwot is perverting the meaning of Islam and giving a black eye to all Muslims. The government cannot be a passive spectator. They must step in and arrest the zealots of Khatme Nabuwot. And they need to take quick actions to remove the ban.

Sobhan: Let's call a spade a spade. This is not a question of being a passive spectator. The ban is law. It was promulgated by the government. The government is therefore -- whether it intended to be or not -- an active participant in the persecution of the Ahmadiyyas. And as you point out, there is a direct connection between the ban and the emboldenment of the extremists which we are now seeing play out in Rangpur and elsewhere. And to the extent that the government does nothing to protect the Ahmadiyyas, it is again at fault. Government inaction is not passivity. It is an active choice. The government could easily protect the Ahmadiyya communities if it wanted to. It has the capability. Are you telling me that the KN has the numbers to even bring Dhaka to a standstill, let alone the country, as they have threatened? Last time I checked, the government was actually rather efficient -- some might say a little too efficient -- in putting down demonstrations against it.

Mohaiemen: One journalist made an excellent point at a screening at the Goethe Institute. He said, "Any time there is any sort of communal trouble, our liberal Muslim neighbors come forward and say, 'We will protect you.' But why should people need to protect people? That is the state's role. Only if the state mechanism is broken does this sort of 'people protecting people' need to happen." I agree with that. The state needs to play a positive role in safeguarding minorities. And the state has done that at times. When some major riots happened in India, the Bangladesh government played a positive role in making sure retaliation riots didn't happen here. But the state has failed in the case of Ahmadiyyas and given in to the extremists. Why it has abdicated its responsibilities here is a mystery.

Sobhan: As you have pointed out, the government has successfully protected other constituencies in the past. And news reports make clear that when the government does take affirmative steps, such as in Barisal and Patuakhali recently, they have successfully stopped programmes of persecution. So I think that it is pretty clear that the government is actually unwilling -- not unable -- to do more to stop the persecution. The government is in hock to its extremist coalition partners who want their pound of flesh. They are beholden to both the JI and the OIJ, without whose support and electoral alliance they would not have come to power, and they owe them big-time. And the religious parties have decided that this is the issue they want to push. There are always political points to be scored by beating up on a minority. Sadly, it remains a sure-fire way to get votes. In Rangpur, for instance, the persecution has taken place in a constituency which is at present controlled by the Jatiya Party and has been targeted by the four-party alliance in the next election. The anti-Ahmadiyya campaign is their first shot at establishing a presence there with the ultimate goal of taking the seat.

I fear, too, that some of the BNP leaders are not merely motivated by politics in not opposing the extremism of their alliance partners. They actually feel the same way. Their attitude is that Ahmadiyyas should be declared non-Muslim and have their books banned, and if they get burned out of their homes or raped or murdered as a result . . . well, that's not our fault, right?

Mohaiemen: Let's talk about Christine Rocca's visit, during which she brought up the Ahmadiyya book ban. It actually infuriates me that the government will respond to US officials when they complain about this issue, yet we Bangladeshi activists have been protesting about this for over six months. The government doesn't feel any need to respond to domestic human rights activists. ASK and others filed a "Demand Of Justice" notice the day after the ban, yet the government has yet to respond to that petition.

Ultimately, Bangladesh's problems have to be solved by us. You can't solve these problems through external pressure. Even if external pressure causes something to happen, it is a temporary fix. We have to build up the infrastructure and support for human rights and tolerance from inside Bangladesh. Also, I don't want my work co-opted by those who would divide the world into "us and them." I am fighting religious extremists, but I don't consider Bush's "Pax Americana" project to be my ally. Those who do, like Fouad Ajami and Bernard Lewis, are losing their own credibility with their "enemy of my enemy is my friend" philosophy. I am reminded of the Asian Dub Foundation song: "Enemy of the Enemy/Is a Friend/Until He's the Enemy Again."

Sobhan: I disagree. The way I see it, whatever pressure can be put to bear on the government is a good thing. I am not worried about the hypocrisy of the US government -- in this context it is not my problem. In fact, to me, this argument is a bit of a red herring thrown up by those who don't want change -- they can now say, well, you know, who is the US to be telling us what to do? This is total avoidance of the real issue. The only problem I have with Rocca speaking out is that it may delegitimise the struggle and could be used by the anti-Ahmadiyya activists to discredit the Ahmadiyyas. But I wouldn't want to play into that.

Your main frustration is over the government response to Rocca. But isn't that what governments do? They act in their own self interest and respond to those parties which have leverage over them. They don't respond to human rights activists because they don't see the need to. To make governments responsive, they have to fear negative repercussions -- and the only thing any government really fears is being thrown out of office. So the thing for activists to do is to raise awareness to the level that it becomes an electoral issue.

Mohaiemen: In the context of the US role in today's world, I am always interested in making linkages and parallels with other global situations. One of the things I have talked about at these film screenings is my own experience working with people like Blue Triangle and Not In Our Name in the US. These groups work to protect the civil rights of Muslim immigrants. In fact, Muslims are victims of the same racial profiling that tormented black Americans for decades. Now, in the post 9/11 hysteria, Muslims have become the new disenfranchised minority in America and Europe. Yet, in our own country where we Muslims are the majority, we do not hesitate to disenfranchise our own minorities. So, global activists cannot condemn only oppression against Muslim minorities in America. We have to speak out against oppression being carried out by our fellow Muslims. Otherwise it's a double standard.

Sobhan: I couldn't agree with you more. I find it ironic that we here in Bangladesh can get so outraged -- rightly -- over what is happening in Iraq or Palestine or the US, but can be so complacent about what is going on right under our noses. This is not to excuse the policies of the US or Israeli governments, but merely to point out that we should reserve a little more outrage for injustice that directly affects us and that we can actually do something about. Let me mention the case of Abdur Rob, Deputy Director of Proshika's Cultural Department, who has finally been released on bail, but has made credible allegations of torture while in custody. I found it very telling that we are so upset about torture and abuse at Abu Ghraib, but have been so silent about torture and abuse in our own jails. Abdur Rob isn't the first person to raise credible allegations of torture in custody -- which is almost always politically motivated -- but the outrage over these atrocities pales in comparison to the outrage registered by events abroad.

Mohaiemen: One disturbing trend is that a lot of people in Bangladesh and elsewhere think the religious parties are the only ones resisting neo-imperialism. Therefore, they tolerate and quietly support the religious parties. I keep hearing how the mosques and religious parties brought out largest rallies against the Iraq war. In fact, this is the failure of the Bangladesh left. Why couldn't they bring out massive rallies against the Iraq war? Kolkata had a very strong anti-war movement. They even mobilized a very successful boycott of American products. But it was all organized by the Kolkata left, not the religious parties. In fact, there are many ways to resist Empire. In America, some of the strongest voices against the war have been families of GIs, Vietnam vets, labor unions and black and Latino groups. So I have found other allies in the fight against imperialism, I don't feel any need to cozy up to the religious parties to resist Empire.

Sobhan: Well, the left parties did protest the recent visit of US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, as did the religious parties. But one thing to keep in mind is that the left in Bangladesh has been almost wiped off the face of the Earth. So even when they do take action, it has little impact. The worrisome thing is that there is a strong anti-imperialist, anti-Western, anti-globalisation constituency in the country, and many of their grievances are legitimate and deserve to be addressed, but in the absence of a healthy and durable left-wing in the nation, the only parties speaking to this constituency are the religious parties. This is something the more mainstream parties must address unless they want their base of popular support to continue to decline. The anti-Ahmadiyya movement, is, in my opinion, ultimately an electoral strategy, but it is only one of many that the religious parties are pursuing in order to consolidate and enhance their power.

Naeem Mohaiemen is the New York based director of Muslims or Heretics? (www.pinholepictures.com/ahmadiya), a documentary on persecution of Ahmadiyya Muslims.

Zafar Sobhan is an Assistant Editor of The Daily Star.

_____

[3]

Mid Day [India]
June 11, 2004

ROAD TO PERDITION
By: Mahmood Farooqui

The apocalypse came, liked what it saw and has chosen to stay it out permanently.

For over 40 years, Pakistan has been trying to wrest its 'stability' back from the apocalypse, but each passing year paints the previous one with a rosier brush. So we get from bad to worse to worst and it hangs there.

You ask Pakistanis why they are in a state of permanent convulsion and they will tell you that God especially loves them, sanctifies their formation even by throwing constant signs of perdition their way.

Perdition, it appears, would not come down in one fell swoop, instead Qayamat will gradually extend outwards from the port city of Karachi and engulf us one by one, bit by bit.

Prices never fall after rising and morals never rise after falling, goes an Urdu maxim. One may add a new one to that, religious laws, once implemented, can never be rolled back. For, either they are true or they are not, but once their enactment ordains their truth-ness as it were.

Ask Pervez Musharraf. He has called for making Islamic laws more flexible and modern. He has called for sincerity, flexibility and boldness to find a 'viable, genuine and lasting' settlement of the Kashmir dispute. Alas, his exhortations to the civil society to condemn religious extremism have become so repetitive and frequent that the number of aye-sayers is now negligible.

You ask a Pakistani Islamicist what he thinks about Jehadis killing innocent Muslims and he will tell you anybody killing Muslims is not a Muslim. You ask him why the killing of innocent westerners is justified when it is their governments who are the enemy, and he will respond that this is not real Jehad; the Jehad-e-Akbar against one's baser self is a more exalted form of Jehad. You ask the liberal Muslims what they think of all this and they will say it is the ignorant Mullahs who preach this kind of obscurantism.

You ask the Mullahs why and they will tell you how and why America is evil and that the liberal/secular intelligentsia is hand-in-glove with them.

Eventually, you ask them about sectarian killings, as in the assassination of the Deobandi cleric in Karachi and the reprisals that are still going on and they will tell you that all Muslim minorities are a front of the US.

Here is Qazi Ahmed Hussain, the head of Pakistani Jamaat-e-Islami, justifying his political party MMA's agitation against the Aga Khan Foundation, which is to take over the handling of the country's education boards: "It has been proved beyond doubt that recent attempts to remove chapters on holy Muslim personalities and the teachings about jihad from the syllabi were a western conspiracy since the people who have been condemning the Islamic values of modesty and jihad were involved in it."

However, why are civilians being targetted in these reprisals in Karachi or in Iraq, for sectarian or national-liberation causes? Hussain explains why the AKF centres were targetted: "The AKF centres were among dozens of banks, petrol stations, restaurants and vehicles set on fire when the police prevented protestors from giving vent to their anger by raising slogans, and used tear gas and batons to disperse them."

Petrol pumps, KFC and McDonald outlets, anything with a western insignia can be attacked on the grounds of collaboration, but crucially, not the weapons that the Mullah's bodyguards use, nor the jets and the Pajeros in which they gallivant, nor the hospitals they are treated in.

The JI is only following its founder's example after all, after life-long anti-Americanism and dreams of a resurrected Islamic Pakistan, Maudoodi felt no hesitation in travelling to America to get himself treated, the better to condemn it.

After all this if you still find some faults with the Jehadis, they can always enlist the enemy and his tools for support: "True, the persecution of minorities and the torture of prisoners is unIslamic, but again the writer has simply ignored the fact that leaving aside dictatorship and monarchies, no Muslim state is known for persecuting minorities and torturing prisoners more than the US which calls itself the champion of civil, human, women and all kinds of rights which it denies to the Muslims."

Since its inception, Pakistan charted out a double course, which converged in Kashmir, down with India, on with Islam. The method to achieve its destiny would be proxy warfare that began in 1948 and continues to date.

Foreign policy, domestic strategy and the ruling ideology all fitted into the same prism. It was, in fact, not Zia, but a socialist, Bhutto, who started Pakistan's Islamisation, like banning Qadiyanis and declaring Friday a holiday.

The state now wants to roll back because the world is forcing it to; the nation, however, whose religious, national passion has been progressively co-opted in favour of the state, finds it difficult to give up that same consensus.

How is it possible to purge Waziristan of 'foreigners'™ for instance, when in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas the Pakistani army is virtually an occupying force, when they are the very ones who served the national ideology, in Kashmir, Afghanistan, Central Asia.

Especially when the army refuses to disengage. The rebel leader in Waziristan, Nek Muhammed, local leaders allege, is being protected by the army.

Anthropologists have contended that in Islamic societies orthopraxy "the right practice is often considered more important than orthodoxy" the right belief.

The ideological basis of Pakistan, the little history and the great myth that its populations have successively imbibed about their nation, their religion and their past can rarely be openly or directly questioned, let alone reversed, because the conventions of conduct are so important. If you criticise Jehadis, append an equally long condemnation of the US.

If you condemn the army, damn the politicians as well. If Islam is the truest and Muslims the best, goes the Islamicist, show it to us in state practice, in everyday life, in state institutions. However, if a glorious past is one's future then all answers are already given because the past is everything we want it to be.

Once they went for the Americans, then they went for the Shias, then they went for the Christians, then they went for the Barelvis. Can Qazi Hussain Ahmed be far behind?

_____

[4]

The Times of India
June 12, 2004

BONDING WITHOUT BIGOTRY
Dileep Padgaonkar

Port Louis : Nowhere do developments in India affect people of Indian origin as dramatically as they do here in Mauritius . Part of the reason is demographic. Close to 70 per cent of the 1.2 million strong population of this divinely endowed island-nation traces its roots to Bihar , Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat , Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra . The languages, cultures and religious practices prevalent in these states are kept alive in homes and through a network of caste and community-based associations.

Another reason for the strong presence of India relates to the official and non-official ties that link Mauritius with the mother country. Governments may come and go in Port Louis and New Delhi but the ties, especially in defence matters, are left untouched. This is increasingly true of economic relations too. Add to this the many cultural and scientific undertakings of the Indian government.

Outside the government sphere Mauritians are exposed to India through films and television, itinerant spiritual gurus and now more and more thanks to Indian enterprises operating in the country. The latest Bollywood films are screened in cinema halls often before they are released in India . Their DVDs are also on sale at every other street corner. Many Indian TV channels can be accessed on cable. The second channel of the state-owned television network almost entirely broadcasts Indian programmes.

This explains in large measure the very high interest in Indian politics and indeed in any issue of national significance in India . That level of interest is also to be found in India 's economic advances in recent years. The growing stature of India in the world instils a sense of pride and perhaps also enhances the community's self-esteem in this multi-ethnic, religious and cultural environment.

There is however another, less rosy side to this picture. The elite in the Indo-Mauritian community look to Britain , France and the United States rather than to India to advance their professional interests. French remains the dominant language of education, culture and even commerce. The tiny Franco-Mauritian community controls a major chunk of the economy. Sino-Mauritians and Muslim Mauritians of Indian descent more or less monopolise retail trade.

Until not too long ago, the Hindus held the keys to political and administrative power. But their innate divisiveness, which non-Hindi Mauritians are said to have exploited to the hilt, got the better of them. Caste, religious and regional identities were brought into full play.

The accumulating frustrations found expression in the radicalisation of the Hindu community. The ascendancy of Hindutva in the mother country throughout the 1990s and in the early part of the new century contributed to this trend. A static, exclusivist idea of Indian culture with strong authoritarian undertones began to strike roots. This, in turn, accounts in part for the emergence of fundamentalist tendencies in the Muslim community too.

The fact remains however that an overwhelming majority of Hindus and Muslims treat religious extremism with the disdain it deserves. The younger generation in particular is attached to religion and culture. But it is in no mood to allow that attachment to be harnessed to political or ideological goals.

Here is an opportunity for India . For too long New Delhi thought it fit to focus its attention on Hindi-speaking, Hindu Mauritians. It must now reach out to other sections of the population as well. For, the appeal of a modernizing India which celebrates diversity and tolerance cuts across all these communities. Such an appeal alone can help to tame the demons of divisiveness which threaten to overwhelm this fascinating land whose inhabitants are proud to call as chota Bharat.

______

[5]

SHAME
Bashir Manzar

The monster of violence has once again dug its ugly teeth in the neck of Kashmir economy and this time it has targeted innocent tourists who had come here not only to appreciate the beauty of the place but to give a boost to the otherwise dying economy of State. Those, including the children, who were killed in a grenade attack at Pahalgam and also those who are injured and are battling for their lives had no political agenda. Their sole agenda was to relax in the valleys of Pahalgam and Gulmarg and to float on the waters of Dal Lake and thus breathe in the beauties of Almighty. They were not doing the picnicking for nothing. They were spending money and who were the people getting benefited from that – Kashmiris, poor Kashmiris. Shikara Wallas, whom the trouble of past more than a decade has left bread-less. Houseboat owners who in absence of tourists for all these years were living from hand to mouth and had no sources of income to repair their damaged house-boats. Ponywallas of Gulmarg and Pahalgam, who had sold their ponies to feed their families and were living a painful life. But how could the enemies of Kashmiris see Kashmiris earning? They want them to starve. They want to turn them into mere beggars. They want to keep them always with a begging bowl in their hands. Because once the economic condition of oppressed Kashmiris comes back on rails, the enemies had it. Economically sound and prosperous Kashmiris are not fitting in the nefarious designs of these enemies. They want people to be dependent, dependent for times to come. It is the poverty and dependence of Kashmiris that suits the enemies. They can exploit them, use them, make them to dance to their tunes. So how could these enemies be comfortable with such huge influx of tourists. The influx was bound to strengthen Kashmir’s economy. And thus the enemies decided to strike and struck at the very vital of the industry. Hurling grenade on the tourists, killing and injuring them. Enemy’s job is done. Tourists come here not to get killed or injured. They come to have some relaxed time away from the maddening crowd of big cities and terrible heat of plains. But if this so called paradise on earth takes away their lives, why should not they be happy amid the crowded cities and hot plains where at least their life is under no threat.
Chakbast would be crying in that world. He was the person who once said:
Zara Zara Hai Mere Kashmir Ka Mehmaan Nawaz;
Rastoun Ke Patharoun Ne Bhi Diya Pani Mujhe.
(Every inch of my Kashmir is hospitable to the extent that even stones here helped quenching my thirst).
And today in the same Kashmir, the guests are being killed and wounded. Let us all hang our heads in shame and admit that we being the good people was a myth created by biased historians. We are bad, bad and bad. Had it not been so, the leaders who are always ready to lead Jinazh processions and mourning meeting would have not adopted criminal silence over the tragic episode of Pahalgam. But then why they will react? They are poor daily wagers. They get paid on daily basis. The more people are killed, the more wages they get. And the episodes like Pahalgam earn them even some increments and additional allowances. Let them earn their perks, hell with ordinary Kashmiris!!

Kashmir Images
www.kashmirimages.info

______

[6]

The Telegraph [India]
June 13, 2004

SILENCE OR RUCKUS?
- How the Bharatiya Mundan Party took the experience of defeat
Second Thoughts / Githa Hariharan

Goddesses of noise
Even a leader like Milosevic appeared on national television in October 2000 to make what astonished observers described as a gracious speech conceding defeat. He thanked those who voted for him and also those who did not. "I congratulate Mr. Kostunica on his victory," he concluded, "and I wish all citizens of Yugoslavia every success in the next few years." Closer home, I recall a friend who had spent a year in jail during the Emergency telling me, after the heady electoral defeat of Indira Gandhi in 1977, that Mrs Gandhi stepped down without any unseemly fuss. At any rate, she knew how to acknowledge defeat.

But in the elections of 2004, we witnessed a somewhat different kind of response to defeat - a response that ranged from sulky silence to farcical theatrics. The Bharatiya Janata Party combine showed us, once again, that they are unique, even in the way they take an electoral verdict.

Consider what the BJP leaders did when the electorate showed them the door. Some were quiet. Very, very quiet. And some others made a great big ruckus. The quiet route was the option favoured by the seniors of the BJP combine soon after the election results. These silver-tongued seniors, assigned to wear the elder-statesmen masks, were suddenly resoundingly silent. It was left to us to imagine a few possible behind-the-scenes.

For example, in one scene, the man partial to pretend-poetry made a quick speech on television that sounded like an old recording. He was then reduced to silence, possibly by a severe case of telephone fatigue. Those phone calls to unsuspecting citizens (and those endless, expensive TV advertisements) had used up all his one-sided eloquence. In another scene, the man partial to pretend-chariots seemed to watch in sulky silence as his rath, which he thought ready and gleaming for its victory roll, spluttered its way into the sunset. He knew there was every possibility that it was heading home, the yard where used-up junk is taken apart scrap by scrap. In yet another scene, the man partial to all things gloriously bogus and abracadabra seemed to have locked himself into a room specially designed for conducting crazy experiments. Except this time, it was doubtful whether he was inventing anything. Perhaps he was, with the help of sundry planetary, lunar and Vedic positions, figuring out where his recipe (a tablespoon of saffron and a pinch of spiritual values for a cupful of pure Hindu zeroes) went wrong.

A couple of the middle-level warriors of the combine also, surprisingly, chose silence as their reaction to defeat. One - the brutish hate-machine - could have been quiet for a good reason. Perhaps he was refurbishing his speeches and updating them with his post-election analysis. To him it could well have been as clear as his venom: all those who voted against the BJP are terrorists. Or foreigners. Or foreign terrorists, the worst kind. Or terrorizing foreigners, especially the kind from Italy. At any rate, the general public suspicion was that his silence would be temporary, because now there were so many more people to push across the border into the mian's arms.

Just as every country-mouse has his counterpart in the town-mouse, the brutish hate-machine has a cousin in the suave hate-machine. (It must be said, though, that despite his burden of suaveness, this one hates just as well as the brute.) Unfortunately, the election results seemed to have gobbled up a biggish chunk of his suaveness. When he finally chose to end his post-defeat silence, it was only to pick on a victim his party had already officially labelled a mere child. It might well be the first time an election shrank a suave hate-machine to the size of a garden-variety school-bully, picking on the newest baby in the classroom. It was almost as if the bully couldn't seem to decide on the question of Silence versus Ruckus. It's no wonder then that his attempts to break the big silence just didn't have enough circus value. That was left to those of the combine (the usual suspects, of course) who went, with gusto, for Option Two: the big, public ruckus.

Again, it was no surprise that there was something of a tussle among these attention-getters for the coveted post of ringmaster. The first aspirant rushed straight from Tirupati to the centre of the ring to show off his latest trick: head minus hair. (Now it was the turn of the public to be struck dumb by the spectacle.) But since this bald-pate didn't have much to say anymore, he could only hold attention for a moment or two, and he was soon hopelessly sidelined by the noisiest of ringmaster aspirants. The new champion of circus antics, a veritable goddess of noise, cracked her whip (blood-red, like the parting of her hair), and screamed of hurt sentiments and foreign blood. So inspired was her display of love for the country and her love for tender sentiments, that she outshone, effortlessly, the copious tears of love being shed offstage by the election winners for their reluctant leader. Everyone got caught up in keeping track of her daily non sequiturs. The question on everyone's lips was, "Will she do it? Will she put the razor (and not even one blessed by Tirupati) to her head?"

All this screaming and threatening must have been infectious. Already incensed by the defeat and the silence of the elder statesmen, the other circus-folk ran round the ringmaster, exhorting their speechless leaders to get back to where they always belonged. (They didn't need to spell out exactly where they belonged since the public had already had an overdose of their Hindutva refrain.)

The rest of us, the long-suffering electorate, nodded our heads from our ringside seats. No, we were not keeping time to the beat of the scream or the threat of Hindutva, shaven or unshaven. Just nodding in confirmation of all our most nasty suspicions. During the election campaign, we were subjected to epic-length speeches on television, as frequent as the ubiquitous commercial break, on development. On roads, on progress, on all things bright and shining. But post-elections, when masks and their newly moderate rhetoric were no longer of use, we were treated to the real face - or the real, shining, barren head - of what an irreverent, but precise, wit has christened the Bharatiya Mundan Party.

______

[7]

'Aakrosh' and its battles with the Censor Board