South Asia Citizens Wire - 7 July 2015 - No. 2862
[since 1996]

[This issue of the dispatch is dedicated to remember and celebrate Praful
Bidwai, the journalist and peace activist who was long standing member of the
sacw list. We announce that there is memorial meeting
for Praful Bidwai on the 8 July 2015 @ IIC Delhi - 6-8 pm]

Contents:
1. Pakistan: Text of the Constitution Petition in relation to the Heat Wave
Tragedy
2. 'Fighting machetes with pens': Voltaire Lecture 2015 by Rafida Ahmed Bonya
3. Why it is senseless to celebrate the 1965 Indo-Pakistan War | Bharat Bhushan
4. India - Travel ban imposed on human rights defender Teesta Setalvad
5. Praful Bidwai (1949-2015) | Pritam Singh
6. Text of Praful Bidwai's Intervention at the February 1999 Pakistan Peace
Conference in Karachi
7. Audio: Richard Falk Interviewed by Praful Bidwai
8. India: A Farewell For Praful . . . | Pamela Philipose
9. India: 27 June 2015 photos from Praful Bidwai's Funeral in Delhi
10. India's World - Nepal grapples with Constitution drafting | A TV discussion
11. India: Worship on streets not a fundamental right says Bombay High Court
12. India: Apoorvanand, Ali Javed and Satish Deshpande report on Atali village
- ‘Are you a Mulla or one of us?'
13. August 15 1947 - Communist Party's Appeal to the People of Pakistan
14. India: Leading communist and veteran journalist Comrade Jagjit Singh Anand
is no more
15. India: No Mercy For the Poor | Jean Drèze (The Wire 17 June 2015)
16. India: Anhad report on first 365 days of the Narendra Modi Government
17. Militarised Borders of Asia - Focus of IIAS Newsletter Summer 2015
18. India: 1998 interview with Subhadra Joshi by Sagari Chhabra
19. Recent on Communalism Watch:
- India: a film about Nellie Massacre
- India Shiv Sena’s new normal (Suhas Palshikar)
- India: Researcher denied access to CID records on VD Savarkar, despite CM
Devendra Fadnavis's recommendation
- India: Kanwarias can’t carry hockey sticks, trishul, lathis this ‘Shravan’
- India: Newsclick interview with Nandita Haksar - Malegaon Blast, NIA, BJP and
Saffron Terror
- Book Review: Right-Wing Populism in Europe
- India: Need a favour from the government? Contact your local RSS man
- How Saudi funded Rs 1,700 crore for Wahabi influence in India (Vicky Nanjappa)
- India: The Subversion of Hindutva terror trials - After Malegaon, Ajmer Blast
Case Faces Allegations of Sabotage
- India: After Swamy plea, court to review penal provisions for hate speech
- Tension in Muzaffarnagar village, Muslims remained besieged in a mosque for
half a day
- The Indian Medical Association demands strict action against Ramdev
- India: Delhi University has gotten lost in a quagmire of parochial interests
::: RESOURCEs & FULL TEXT :::
20. Aung San Suu Kyi on the state of democracy in Burma | Fred Hiatt
21. Buddhist monks seek to ban schoolgirls from wearing headscarves in Burma |
Simon Lewis
22. Female Literacy: What the Indian economy needs to learn from Sri Lanka |
Saurabh Mukherjea
23. Despite being a woman - South Asia is one of the worst places in the world
to be female | Banyan
24. We need to stop prosecuting bad behavior as rape | Cathy Young
25. Book Review: Shifting Ground – People, Animals, and Mobility in India’s
Environmental History | Shekar Dattatri
26. Book Review: Kevin M. Kruse. One Nation Under God: How Corporate America
Invented Christian America

1. PAKISTAN: TEXT OF THE CONSTITUTION PETITION IN RELATION TO THE HEAT WAVE
TRAGEDY
That the subject-matter of this present Petition is in relation to the deaths
of over one thousand (1000) people and injury caused to over 40,000 people
affected, inter-alia, by heat waves striking Karachi and various parts of Sindh
and the gross negligence and illegalities of the Respondents [hereinafter
referred to as the ‘Heat Wave Tragedy’]. It is submitted that the Petitioners,
through this Petition, seek justice and enforcement of the fundamental rights
and the law, for the victims, the survivors and their families, and also seek
further directions from this Honourable Court to inquire into the deaths
of/injury to a huge number of people in relation to the Heat Wave Tragedy, fix
the responsibility for such deaths and injury, to suggest measures in order to
deal with the ongoing Heat Wave Tragedy and also to deal with such Heat Wave
Tragedies in the future.
http://www.sacw.net/article11327.html

2. 'FIGHTING MACHETES WITH PENS': VOLTAIRE LECTURE 2015 BY RAFIDA AHMED BONYA
My late-husband, Dr. Avijit Roy and I were Bangladeshi-American citizens and
Humanists, and we are the recent victims of Islamic terrorism in Bangladesh.
Avijit and I visited our homeland, Bangladesh, on Feb 16th, to attend the
Annual National Book Fair. The fair is a nationally renowned event, attended by
thousands, held through the entire month of February.
http://www.sacw.net/article11338.html

3. WHY IT IS SENSELESS TO CELEBRATE THE 1965 INDO-PAKISTAN WAR
by Bharat Bhushan
Pakistan stopped celebrating the 1965 War with India some time ago, after some
of its generals questioned the triumphalism being built around the debacle.
India, however, it seems, has taken over from where Pakistan left off. To
celebrate India’s military victory over Pakistan, a month-long ’commemorative
carnival’ and a ’victory festival’ topped with a victory parade is to be held
on Rajpath in Delhi on 20 September.
http://www.sacw.net/article11347.html

4. INDIA - TRAVEL BAN IMPOSED ON HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDER TEESTA SETALVAD
On 29 June 2015, a travel ban was imposed on human rights defender Ms Teesta
Setalvad one week before the Supreme Court proceedings on granting her bail.
http://www.sacw.net/article11345.html

5. PRAFUL BIDWAI (1949-2015)
by Pritam Singh
Praful Bidwai leaves a rich legacy of a whole generation of journalists and
activists mentored by his erudition, moral integrity and commitment to peace
and ecological sustainability. He will be deeply missed by progressive people
in India and abroad but his combination of professional competence and
political commitment would forever remain a shining inspiration.
http://www.sacw.net/article11344.html

6. TEXT OF PRAFUL BIDWAI'S INTERVENTION AT THE FEBRUARY 1999 PAKISTAN PEACE
CONFERENCE IN KARACHI
Praful Bidwai, the Indian Journalist and Peace activist had made a powerful
case for building a peace movement to oppose Nuclear weaponsiation of India and
Pakistan
http://www.sacw.net/article11339.html

7. AUDIO: RICHARD FALK INTERVIEWED BY PRAFUL BIDWAI
Richard Falk the widely acclaimed law professor from Princeton who served as
the special rapporteur on Palestinian human rights for the United Nations Human
Rights Council was interviewed by the well known journalist and peace activist
Praful Bidwai in Delhi in late January 2011. The recording was made by Harsh
Kapoor for sacw.net and a large excerpt is made available here for non profit
and and educational use.
http://www.sacw.net/article11336.html

8. INDIA: A FAREWELL FOR PRAFUL . . .
by Pamela Philipose
sacw.net - 29 June 2015
Friends, there was no video livestreaming or any of that for yesterday's
funeral. This is by no means a comprehensive account, and there may be much
that has been inadvertently left out. It is just a brief recalling of that
event using words in the old fashioned way, even as the memories of it are
still fresh in one's mind. The electric crematorium at Lodhi Road, Delhi, is a
dreary place at the best of times (and it sees mostly the worst of times). But
it has this (...)
http://www.sacw.net/article11322.html

9. INDIA: 27 JUNE 2015 PHOTOS FROM PRAFUL BIDWAI'S FUNERAL IN DELHI
random photos of the people who attended the funeral on the 27th June 2015 in
Delhi of Praful Bidwai the sterling journalist with lifelong commitment to the
left and social movements. The photos below were taken by Mukul Dube
http://www.sacw.net/article11319.html

10. INDIA'S WORLD - NEPAL GRAPPLES WITH CONSTITUTION DRAFTING | A TV DISCUSSION
Rajya Sabha TV discussion on Nepal (23 June 2015) Guests: Jayant Prasad (Former
Ambassador of India to Nepal); Rakesh Sood (Former Ambassador of India to
Nepal) and Shivshankar Mukherjee (Former Ambassador of India to Nepal
  Anchor: Bharat Bhushan
http://www.sacw.net/article11308.html

11. INDIA: WORSHIP ON STREETS NOT A FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT SAYS BOMBAY HIGH COURT
Worshiping idols at public places is not a fundamental right, the Bombay high
court said on Wednesday, when it made more stringent the norms allowing
temporary pandals to be set up for festivals such as dahi handi, Navratri and
Ganeshotsav on public roads and footpaths.

12. INDIA: APOORVANAND, ALI JAVED AND SATISH DESHPANDE REPORT ON ATALI VILLAGE
- ‘ARE YOU A MULLA OR ONE OF US?'
All of us in civil society are in debt to the authors of this report, for
visiting Atali and recording the views of the people who live there. It is sad
to see the latest manifestation of a pattern - it is the least we can do to
remember this and understand what it means. Violence against ethnically defined
groups (ethnic cleansing); ghetto-fication and suspension of lawful governance
for the benefit of politically motivated criminals; or controlled mobs - these
have been the recurrent features of communal politics in India for decades.
They conduce to a steady process of criminalisation of the state - a process
that is ongoing.
http://www.sacw.net/article11305.html

13. AUGUST 15 1947 - COMMUNIST PARTY'S APPEAL TO THE PEOPLE OF PAKISTAN
This is document from the Communist Party of India issued on August 15, 1947
http://www.sacw.net/article11337.html

14. INDIA: LEADING COMMUNIST AND VETERAN JOURNALIST COMRADE JAGJIT SINGH ANAND
IS NO MORE
Veteran Journalist, Former MP and once a leading figure in communist movement
in Punjab & Chief Editor of Nawa Zamana Newspaper Jagjit Singh Anand has passed
away.
http://www.sacw.net/article11304.html

15. INDIA: NO MERCY FOR THE POOR | Jean Drèze (The Wire 17 June 2015)
Even as it claims to be fighting the perception that it is anti-poor, the Modi
government has just dealt a big blow to the poorest of the poor: the planned
phasing out of the Antyodaya programme under the Targeted Public Distribution
System (Control) Order 2015. This move is unjust and illegal.
http://www.sacw.net/article11301.html

16. INDIA: ANHAD REPORT ON FIRST 365 DAYS OF THE NARENDRA MODI GOVERNMENT
This report published by Anhad documents the intense and multi pronged attack
on democratic rights of citizens and on secular values enshrined in India’s
constitution by the government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The report
takes stock of the first full year of the Modi Government from June 2014 to
June 2015. This 194 page report is edited by John Dayal and Shabnam Hashmi and
has been published by ANHAD a Delhi based non profit body.
http://www.sacw.net/article11299.html

17. MILITARISED BORDERS OF ASIA - FOCUS OF IIAS NEWSLETTER SUMMER 2015
Focus of the summer 2015 issue of IIAS newsletter: Even as borders are
increasingly being bridged today through international cooperation, many border
peoples across the world live precarious existences in military battle zones.
Bringing together essays by anthropologists, historians, and
ethnomusicologists, this Focus section refocuses the readers’ gaze on
militarized borderlands in Asia. The articles portray the far-reaching impacts
of militarization on those who live in the immediate proximity of the border,
as well as on those who move away.
http://www.sacw.net/article11300.html

18. INDIA: 1998 INTERVIEW WITH SUBHADRA JOSHI by Sagari Chhabra
[Excerpt from Sagari Chhabra’s book, In Search of Freedom: Journeys Through
India and South-East Asia (Harper-Collins Publishers India)]
http://www.sacw.net/article11346.html

[...]
- India wasn't the first place Sanskrit was recorded – it was Syria (Shoaib
Daniyal)
- Dalits are segregated, and have unequal access to public goods in India’s
biggest cities
- India: Were the nuts of the Hindutva Right involved in making Wiki entries on
Nehru family from NIC IP addresses?
- India: Narendra Modi govt plans official celebration of Raksha Bandhan on
August 29
- Saffronisation of education: Madras HC issues notice to HRD ministry
- India: Since the arrival of the Modi Govt, special public procesutor Rohini
Salian told to go soft on accused (Hindu extremists)
- Atali, an old new story - It is a warning India must heed (Apoorvanand)
- India: Saffronization fears over history text rewrite plan (Akshaya Mukul)
- Hindu Muslim Wedding has Police in Knots
- India: BJP, Why No Apology for Slander of Hamid Ansari? (Rana Ayyub) / Hey
Ram ! Madhav (Subhash Gatade)
- India: In Riot-Hit Muzaffarnagar, a Beacon for Female Victims of Violence by
Urvashi Sarkar on 21/06/2015 (The Wire)
- available at: http://communalism.blogspot.in/

::: RESOURCEs & FULL TEXT :::
20. AUNG SAN SUU KYI ON THE STATE OF DEMOCRACY IN BURMA
by Fred Hiatt
(The Washington Post - June 16, 2015)

Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel peace laureate and chair of the opposition National
League for Democracy party in Burma, spoke Tuesday by telephone about her
recent trip to China, elections scheduled for November and other matters. An
edited transcript is below.

Fred Hiatt is the editorial page editor of The Post. He writes editorials for
the newspaper and a biweekly column that appears on Mondays. He also
contributes to the PostPartisan blog.

Q: What did you learn on your trip to China?

A: It was a good discussion. We all understand that neighbors have to live in
peace and harmony.

Did you discuss the imprisonment of [fellow Nobel peace laureate] Liu Xiaobo?

I have to keep explaining that I never discuss details of my conversation with
leaders of governments or organizations. These are usually considered private.

During your imprisonment, the Chinese weren’t supportive of you, and you
welcomed when foreign leaders raised the issue of your imprisonment.

Freedom and democracy in each country will be something that their own people
will work for. With regard to our relationship with China, it’s always been
based on independence, and I believe we can maintain this relationship, even if
we don’t agree on the ideologies we wish to practice within our respective
countries.

So “freedom and democracy in each country will be something that their own
people will work for” — is that the attitude the U.S. should take toward Burma?

I think all people work for what they want for their own country, and of course
they do expect their friends to help if they can.

Well, let me ask about your own country.

Yes, please do. I think I prefer talking about my own country.

How likely are elections in the fall to produce a government that’s
representative of the people?

Well, we’ve entered a very exciting period. For the first time we’ve started
discussing draft amendments to the constitution in the legislature. How free
and fair the elections will be will be linked to whether the constitution has
been amended to provide a level playing field.

So there’s still a chance the constitution will be amended before the election?

Oh, there’s always a chance. We’re not counting on it, we’re not campaigning
for the elections on the assumption that the constitution will be amended. But
we don’t entirely shut off the possibility.

If not, can the people’s will be reflected in the president and parliament that
are elected?

If the elections are free and fair, of course, the legislature will reflect the
will of the people. With regard to the presidency, that will depend on whether
the constitution has been amended.

But what about the 25 percent rule [reserving one-quarter of parliament seats
for the military]?

We know about the 25 percent rule, but rules, you know, don’t last forever,
they don’t have to. And don’t people say that rules are made to be broken?

So if it’s not changed before the election, would the NLD have the political
wherewithal to get it changed?

The NLD has stated very clearly that unelected representatives are not
democratic, and this will have to be changed. But we have also said that in the
interest of national reconciliation, this will have to be negotiated step by
step, and we’re not going to insist on all the unelected members leaving the
legislature.

In general, how do you view the state of political reform?

What we had hoped for is that the government would enter into genuine
negotiations to make sure that the democratization process is a real one. But
it has become increasingly obvious that the government is not really very
interested in negotiation. . . .

But on the other hand we really hadn’t expected it to be smooth running all the
way.

Could the government succeed in stopping the process where it is now, or where
Cambodia, say, is now, with a veneer of democracy, but with the government and
former generals still controlling most of the economy and political power?

We do worry that the reforms will turn out to be a total illusion, and we think
that we need more concrete steps to ensure that the democratization process is
what it was meant to be.

But we’re very different from Cambodia. I think the problems are much more
difficult to sort out than the problems of Cambodia. The size of the country,
the size of the population, the internal wars and battles that have been taking
place for such a long time.

Why the rise of Buddhist nationalism?

I think we have to make a distinction between nationalism and extremism, and
what we worry about is extremism. Nationalism, when it’s controlled and when
it’s used in the right way, that is not a bad thing. It’s extremism that is a
problem.

And is it a problem at this point in Burma?

I think extremism all over the world, not only in Burma, in any society,
extremism would be a problem.

What’s the source of it in your country? Why are we seeing it now?

Well, I wonder, too. But of course, if you’re talking about the [western state
of] Rakhine, these problems have existed for many, many decades. They’ve been
simmering for quite some time, and the government has not done enough to lessen
the tension and to remove the sources of the conflict.

Do you think the Rohingya should have citizenship?

The government is now verifying the citizenship status under the 1982
citizenship law. I think they should go about it very quickly and very
transparently and then decide what the next steps in the process should be.

What do you say to your friends outside the country who say you should have
been speaking more about the plight of the Rohingya and other minorities?

We have many minorities in this country, and I’m always talking up for the
right of minorities and peace and harmony, and for equality and so on and so
on, all the democratic values that the NLD and others have been fighting for
for three decades now. We have been subjected to tremendous human rights
violations all these years, and so have others, and many, many of our ethnic
minorities took up arms because their rights have not been protected.

The protection of rights of minorities is an issue which should be addressed
very, very carefully and as quickly and effectively as possible, and I’m not
sure the government is doing enough about it. Well, in fact, I don’t think
they’re doing enough about it.

What do you mean by “very, very carefully”?

It just means that it is such a sensitive issue, and there are so many racial
and religious groups, that whatever we do to one group may have an impact on
other groups as well. So this is an extremely complex situation, and not
something that can be resolved overnight.

Do extremist parties pose a political risk to the NLD, and could that be one
reason such sentiment is being fomented?

It’s possible, because the NLD has never supported extremism of any kind, so
extremist groups would not look upon themselves as friends of the NLD, and it’s
very possible that there’s a political motive behind the rise of so-called
religious movements.

How much of an impact could voter roll problems have?

We’ve studied 10 townships in the Rangoon Division, and in some townships the
mistakes were as high as 80 percent. That’s very bad. In some they were as low
as 30 percent. How are we going to correct all of these lists in time for the
election? And if things are that bad in Rangoon, how will they be in the border
areas, for example? The election commission chairman is very serious about
correcting all of these mistakes, but I just wonder if they have enough time
and technical expertise to be able to correct these mistakes in time.

Has there been a retrenchment of basic freedoms since the early liberalization?

Well, it was more than a year ago that we began to notice that the government
was beginning to crack down on freedom of the media. You must have heard about
it, how some journalists were arrested and sentenced to somewhat longish terms
in prison. And we felt then that the reform process was not only stalled but
perhaps going backwards.

Are reforms still going backward?

I don’t think anything is going to happen ahead of the elections, apart from
the constitutional issue, and in my opinion the government is totally opposed
to constitutional amendment. That’s regression enough, don’t you think?

How does it feel to be turning 70?

Well, I don’t feel very different, but it’s interesting that I’ve made it this
far.

21. BUDDHIST MONKS SEEK TO BAN SCHOOLGIRLS FROM WEARING HEADSCARVES IN BURMA
by Simon Lewis in Rangoon
(The Guardian - 22 June 2015)

Influential group of monks also plans to encourage people to vote for
candidates who ‘will not let our race and religion disappear’ in this year’s
elections

An influential group of Buddhist monks in Burma is proposing to ban Muslim
schoolgirls from wearing headscarves, in the latest sign of growing religious
tension in the country.

The Organisation for the Protection of Race and Religion, a panel of monks
known locally by the acronym Ma Ba Tha, said the headscarves were “not in line
with school discipline”.

Ma Ba Tha held a conference in Rangoon at the weekend. Some 1,300 monks from
monasteries around the country gathered to discuss plans to promote a
nationalist agenda as the country heads toward landmark elections later this
year.

In a list of recommendations released late on Sunday, Ma Ba Tha told its
members to lobby the government to put further restrictions on the country’s
beleaguered Muslims, and included references to the wearing of either
headscarves or burqas.

“We will demand seriously for the government to ban Muslim students wearing the
burqa in government schools and to ban the killing of innocent animals on their
[Muslims’] Eid holiday,” it said, referring to Muslim cultural practices that
Buddhist nationalists believe go against the culture of Buddhist-majority Burma.

Explaining the move, Ma Ba Tha monk U Pamaukkha said: “When they [Muslims] live
in Myanmar, they need to obey the law and regulations of the country. We are
not targeting or attacking their religion.”

The group also said it would “show the people the right track” when it came to
the elections, expected in November, encouraging people to vote for candidates
who “will not let our race and religion disappear”.

The group would keep monitoring “crimes by non-Buddhists” and using Facebook to
spread news about alleged threats to Buddhism in Burma, its statement said.

Ma Ba Tha was officially formed in June 2013, when bouts of inter-communal
violence were spreading around the country, with Buddhist mobs targeting
members of the Muslim minority. Riots have been triggered by social media posts
reporting alleged rapes of Buddhist women by Muslims.

Inter-communal violence in western Burma’s Rakhine State the previous year
displaced some 140,000 people, mostly stateless Muslims identifying themselves
as Rohingya, who have since taken to the sea in their thousands fleeing
oppressive conditions, sparking a regional human smuggling crisis.

The monks have already proved their ability to wield influence over Burma’s
quasi-civilian government, which replaced a military junta in 2011. After a Ma
Ba Tha signature campaign, president Thein Sein’s administration drafted four
laws restricting interfaith marriage and religious conversion, banning polygamy
and limiting population growth.

While the laws have met with little resistance in a parliament dominated by
former and serving military officials, so far only the population control law –
which enables officials to restrict women to one child every three years – has
been passed.

The prominent nationalist monk U Wirathu spoke at the conference on Saturday,
pledging that Ma Ba Tha would increase its pressure on the government to pass
the remaining laws.

The monk also extolled the growth of Ma Ba Tha in its first two years. “It’s as
if we’ve come from the sky,” he said.

The group of monks is at the vanguard of a nationalist movement that threatens
to overshadow gains made by Burma’s reformers, with many suggesting it has the
backing of an anti-reform faction in the ruling elite.

David Mathieson, a senior researcher on Burma for Human Rights Watch, said:
“The Ma Ba Tha have become an unaccountable and arrogant political force based
on extremist religious and social views, like a fifth column using Buddhism to
serve shady political and economic interests.”

22. FEMALE LITERACY: WHAT THE INDIAN ECONOMY NEEDS TO LEARN FROM SRI LANKA
by Saurabh Mukherjea
(Daily News and Analysis, 18 June 2015)

What I saw in the Sri Lankan villages impressed me enough to delve deeper into
understanding why Sri Lanka has delivered so much more for its citizens than
India has been able to.

I had visited Colombo five years ago, just after the civil war ended, and had
found it to be a pleasant but unremarkable city.

Then during my children’s summer holidays in May, I found myself making another
trip with my family to Sri Lanka. This time round, after a brief stay in
Colombo – a city which has become visibly more prosperous and that much more
interesting over the past five years – we ventured further into the countryside.

What I saw in the Sri Lankan villages impressed me enough to delve deeper into
understanding why Sri Lanka has delivered so much more for its citizens than
India has been able to.

Visually there are four very striking things about this island country and its
countryside:

The levels of filth are visibly lower: Neither in the cities nor in the Sri
Lankan countryside did I see the sort of squalor and filth that we associate
not only with overcrowded Indian cities like Mumbai but also with most parts of
northern and eastern India. Not only are large open drains absent in Sri Lanka,
urban planning – even in a small town like Galle (population of 1.1mn) – is
clearly exercised more tightly than in the vast majority of Indian cities.

Women are much more visible: Having grown up in Delhi, I am used to living in
Indian cities where for every ten men on the street, you see two or three
women. In Sri Lanka, the men:women ratio is very visibly 50:50.

The quality of housing is much better: I asked an auto rickshaw driver in Galle
to take me to his residence. Then I walked around the neighbourhood in
amazement because I could see from the series of parked auto rickshaws on the
street that their drivers lived in properly built houses (neither flats, nor
tenements) with little gardens in the front and with a spacious living room
which looked on to narrow but clean streets.

The Chinese are everywhere: In December 2014 Mahinda Rajapaksa was voted out
and Maithripala Sirisena became the President in an election which was
supposedly influenced by India. Mr. Rajapaksa was supposedly more sympathetic
to the Chinese than Mr. Sirisena is. However, the latter’s victory clearly has
not deterred the Chinese from continuing to extend their influence in Sri
Lanka. The port in Colombo is being built by the Chinese and the port in
Hambantota has already been built by the Chinese. The superb highways along the
entire Sri Lankan east coast (which did not exist until three years ago) have
been built by the Chinese and I could not help but notice that most of the
containers in the Colombo’s main container terminal were Chinese.

Thirty years ago both the countries had similar levels of per capita income –
around US$300. Now, however Sri Lanka’s per capita income is more than twice
India’s – US$3600 vs US$1600. How did Sri Lanka pull away so much from India?

When it comes to GDP growth, India has actually done better than Sri Lanka –
over the past 20 years, India’s real GDP has delivered a CAGR of 7% vs 5% for
Sri Lanka.

However, Sri Lanka has done a much better job of controlling the denominator of
the per capita income ratio. Sri Lanka’s population growth has slowed from 1.6%
in the 1970s to 1.4% in 1980s to 1.2% in the 1990s to 0.8% in the noughties.

India’s population growth has also slowed down during the last four decades but
the rate of growth of population remained much higher than Sri Lanka’s. India’s
population growth slowed down from 2.3% in the 1970s to 2.2% in 1980s to 1.8%
in 1990s to 1.5% in the noughties. As result, over the last 30 years, Sri
Lanka’s population density which stands at 327 people per square feet has risen
at a CAGR of just 1% vs India’s 1.7% (India has 421 people per square feet).

So why has Sri Lanka been able to control its population in a way that India
simply has not been able to? Economists believe that there is a direct
relationship between women’s literacy rates and the number of children they
have.

A study conducted by the Registrar General of India and the East-West
Population Institute noted that: “The states in which female literacy rates are
high, fertility rates typically are low. In those states that have low
fertility rates, child mortality rates are also low.” Not only are overall
female literacy rates for India way behind Sri Lanka (we are at 66% vs their
90%) but the situation is especially bad in the northern and western Indian
states (literacy rates well below 60%). Interestingly, southern Indian states
like Kerala (92%) and Tamil Nadu (74%) have female literacy rates and fertility
rates closer to Sri Lanka’s than to northern India’s.

If ever proof was needed that culture plays as big a role in economic outcomes
as politics does, this contrast between India and Sri Lanka as well as between
different parts of India and Sri Lanka would make an interesting case study.

In the meantime, Indian policymakers and those of us with an interest in public
policy would do well to read Amartya Sen’s book, “The Argumentative Indian”, in
which he writes, “In my view the imposing tower of misery which today rests on
the heart of India has its sole foundation in the absence of education. Caste
divisions, religious conflicts, aversion to work, precarious economic
conditions – all centre on this single factor”.

Saurabh Mukherjea is CEO - Institutional Equities, at Ambit Capital and the
author of “Gurus of Chaos: Modern India’s Money Masters”.

23. DESPITE BEING A WOMAN - SOUTH ASIA IS ONE OF THE WORST PLACES IN THE WORLD
TO BE FEMALE
by Banyan
(The Economist - Jun 13th 2015 | From the print edition)

INDIA’s bachelor leader, Narendra Modi, struggles with the opposite sex. Last
year he tried to be seen to revere his mother by rushing to her side after his
big election victory. But then he failed to invite her to his grand
inauguration. He has talked, admirably, about the need to respect women. But he
defines “our mothers, daughters and sisters” by their relationships with men
and as treasures to protect. It does not help his reputation that, until he was
running for the prime ministership, he refused to acknowledge that he has an
estranged wife, whom he was forced to marry as a teenager and has not lived
with since.

For a man usually so eloquent, Mr Modi occasionally lands his sandalled foot in
his mouth: on June 7th he made an especially crass comment during an otherwise
successful visit to Bangladesh, praising his host, Sheikh Hasina, the prime
minister, for being tough on terrorism “despite being a woman”. Critics back
home accused Mr Modi of having retrograde views, typical of those who revere
the country as “Mother India” but who treat women atrociously. Yet such
attitudes are widely shared, not just in India but across South Asia. The whole
region fails to grant women equal respect or opportunities.

That may seem odd, given how prominent a role women play in South Asian
politics. China, Japan, Russia and many other countries have failed to produce
a female prime minister or president. South Asia has had several. If Hillary
Clinton is elected next year to lead the world’s most powerful democracy, it
will be a full half-century after Indira Gandhi first led the world’s largest
one. Sri Lanka’s Sirimavo Bandaranaike pipped her to become the world’s first
female head of government, in 1960. In that country, uniquely, both a mother
and her daughter have held the highest political office. In the late 1990s
Chandrika Kumaratunga even served as president at the same time as her ageing
mother, Mrs Bandaranaike, completed a third, mostly ceremonial, term as prime
minister.

Women prosper at the top of South Asian democracies partly because they are
propelled by dynasties that long formed the core of political parties. In
Bangladesh the two battling begums have ensured that no other politician gets a
look-in. Sheikh Hasina lets no one forget she is the daughter of the country’s
murdered founder, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. Her fierce rival Khaleda Zia, the
opposition leader, joined politics after the murder of her husband, also an
early president. Pakistan’s only female prime minister, the late Benazir
Bhutto, entered politics after the execution of her father, Zulfikar Bhutto, a
populist prime minister. In India some talk seriously of Priyanka Gandhi as a
future leader of the Congress Party—mostly because her mother, Sonia Gandhi,
has done the job, as well as her lookalike granny, Indira.

But if South Asia is one of the best places on Earth for elite women who aspire
to a political career, it is one of the worst places to be an ordinary woman.
The occasional chauvinism faced by females at the top pales beside the burdens
heaped on those at the bottom. South Asian women fare terribly in a “Mothers’
Index” put together in May by Save the Children, a British charity. It ranks
179 countries according to the well-being of their women, using indicators such
as maternal mortality, the survival of young children and women’s involvement
in politics. Subcontinental nations come out the worst in Asia. Women in India
and Pakistan (ranked 140th and 149th) have a quality of life only a little
brighter than those in Afghanistan (152nd) and far behind those in China
(61st), who are far more likely to survive childbirth, or see their offspring
spend a long time in school.

Not everything is gloomy. Over the past 25 years, thanks to economic growth and
official health schemes, some things have improved dramatically for South
Asians. Take the blight of child weddings. In the mid-20th century the average
Indian woman was married at 15 and endured early, frequent and often
debilitating pregnancies. Now Indian women are more likely to tie the knot
after getting an education, marrying on average at 21.

Another measure is the 289,000 women, globally, who died in childbirth in 2013.
South Asia accounted for a quarter of them. But here too, improvements are
striking. The rate of such deaths in the region has plummeted from 550 for
every 100,000 live births in 1990 to 190 now. Poorer countries in South
Asia—Nepal, Afghanistan and Bangladesh—have made notable gains by providing
free maternal and child care, and recruiting more female health workers.

Let money do the talking

Yet South Asia will need to spend a lot more on women in order to see further
improvements. The region devotes barely 1% of GDP to public health (China
spends 3.1%). This puts a heavy burden on those who give birth and take most
responsibility for child care. In part this is because of lingering poverty:
World Health Organisation figures from 2012 show that combined public and
private funds for health care, per person, came to a little over $50 per year
in South Asia. Africa spent nearly double that; in East Asian countries it was
ten times more. In North America spending on health, per person, was $8,500 a
year.

The resources spent on women in South Asia are shared more unevenly than in
most places. Among the richest quintile in Delhi (it is a similar story in
Dhaka and elsewhere), women can enjoy maternal and other care close to
first-world standards. By contrast the poorest quintile in the same cities,
especially in slums, endure conditions as bad—or worse—than in far poorer
villages: in Delhi only 19% of such women have someone skilled present when
they give birth. Barely half of their children have had a measles jab and
nearly three-fifths are stunted. Reducing such inequality would be one way to
make existing resources go further in South Asia. But that is likely to happen
no quicker than changing old-fashioned attitudes to women.

24. WE NEED TO STOP PROSECUTING BAD BEHAVIOR AS RAPE.
by Cathy Young
(The Washington Post, May 20 2015)

Feminists want us to define these ugly sexual encounters as rape. Don’t let
them.
We need to stop prosecuting bad behavior as rape.

There was the time when, 19 and naive, I was guilt-tripped into entirely
unwanted physical intimacies with a much older married man. And the time, three
or four years later, when I went to visit an on-and-off long-distance boyfriend
and quickly realized that it was over for me — but he assumed we were still on,
and I didn’t have the nerve to say no. And the time I told a man, “Look, I’m
not going to sleep with you,” and it was taken as, “Try again in a couple of
hours.” He did, and it worked.

When they happened, my views of these encounters ranged from “it was a mistake”
to “it’s complicated.” They still do — even though, these days, we are
encouraged to reinterpret such experiences as sexual violations. To many
feminists, stories like these are evidence of a pervasive, misogynistic rape
culture. “Kids see movies where there’s an aggressor who gets pushed away, but
keeps trying until the girl relents,” advocate, author and filmmaker Kelly Kend
writes. “. . . This is a rape dynamic that has been played off countless times
as just how it works.” Canadian feminist author Anne Thériault laments “the
still-pervasive and very flawed idea that if she doesn’t say no, it’s not rape”
— clearly referring not just to attacks involving violence or incapacitation
(for which few would demand a verbal “no” as proof of rape), but encounters in
which a woman yields to unwanted overtures, like I did.

This isn’t just feminist theory; it’s having an impact in the real world.
Consent-education programs on college campuses, from Columbia University to the
University of Texas at Austin, are increasingly adopting the “yes means yes”
approach. But this crusade against “rape culture” oversimplifies the vast
complexity of human sexual interaction, conflating criminal sexual acts such as
coercion by physical force, threat or incapacitation — which should obviously
be prosecuted and punished — with bad behavior.

Was I a victim? Even in the first incident, in which the man knowingly
pressured me into something I didn’t want, I could have safely said no to him.
Despicable behavior is not always criminal, just like getting guilt-tripped
into giving money to a freeloading friend is not robbery.

In the second instance, it would be an infantilizing insult to deny my
responsibility for a mutual misunderstanding. In the third, what happened was
not only consensual but wanted; my initial “no” was sincere, but it was mainly
an attempt to stop myself from acting on an attraction against my better
judgment.

Besides, I know that sometimes the roles have been reversed. There was the
ex-boyfriend I thought I was seducing in the hope of getting him back — only to
realize, the one time he finally said no harshly enough, that it had been more
pressure than seduction. There was the man who told me it was too soon for us
to get involved and said, more than once, “We shouldn’t be doing this” the
evening we first went to bed. If I were to claim victimhood, I would either
have to admit to being a perpetrator as well or fall back on a blatantly sexist
double standard.

Forty years ago, feminist reformers successfully challenged the discriminatory
treatment of rape complainants, from the requirement of physical resistance to
condemnations of a woman’s “unchaste character.” Feminist advocacy also
deserves credit for clarifying that forced sex is always rape, even in a
relationship. (I am talking here about being forced by physical violence,
restraint or threats, or being subjected to sexual acts while physically
helpless.) But the anti-rape activism that emerged in the 1990s and has surged
on college campuses and on the Internet in recent years goes far beyond that.
Today, it not only embraces an absolutist version of “no means no,” in which
any hint of reluctance must halt further attempts at sexual intimacy; the
movement also insists that only a clear (and sober) “yes” means yes.

Sometimes, the movement’s supporters claim that the new rules amount to little
more than common sense: Don’t have sex with someone who isn’t a willing
partner. In practice, a male student at California’s Occidental College was
recently expelled for having sex with a woman who was willing and enthusiastic,
but apparently too intoxicated to think clearly.

Others champion a far bolder vision. Thériault writes that we must “raze”
nearly all our cultural beliefs about sex and “create an entirely new
foundation” — built on the understanding that consent must be explicit and
almost certainly verbal, not simply a “yes” but an “ongoing conversation.”
Increasingly, this is also the approach adopted by consent-education programs
on college campuses. A bizarre “consent porn” video created as an educational
aid shows make-out sessions proceeding to a constant mutual refrain of “Is this
okay?”; the apparent idea is to show that “consent is hot,” but the result
looks more like a particularly tacky parody.

Affirmative-consent proponents often assert that the new rules will make for
better sex by encouraging people to talk about what they like in bed. Such
arguments have unpleasant overtones of “we decide what’s best for you”; Kend
explicitly states that if you cannot have “an adult conversation” about sex,
“you shouldn’t be having it.” The meddling turns starkly authoritarian when the
“encouragement” involves potential penalties — expulsion from college or even
criminal charges if affirmative consent becomes a legal norm.

Meanwhile, there is little regard for the preferences of people who like
intuitive give-and-take rather than requests and directions. Sensual, playful
or raunchy bedroom talk is very different from compulsory questions checking
for a clear signal that you’re not crossing a line. Reluctance to engage in
frank sexual communication is treated solely as a puritanical hang-up rather
than a valid desire to preserve some spontaneity or dignity. And the wrong kind
of communication, such as persuading an initially hesitant partner, is equated
with sexual assault.

Despite its scorn for reticence, the new sexual revolution has a deep
puritanical streak. Consensual sex is viewed as always under control, the
result of a rational, fully autonomous choice. In this vision, there is either
unequivocal “enthusiastic consent” or reluctant submission. In real life,
though, there are many other possibilities.

You could agree to have sex to please your partner, despite not being in the
mood, and get enthusiastic later. You could be sexually eager but emotionally
ambivalent, or vice versa. You could be torn between passionate desire and
ethical or practical reasons not to act on that desire. You could get drunk to
quiet your scruples, or you may hope to be coaxed into surrendering to
temptation. (Obviously, “coaxed” does not equal “physically overpowered.”) Some
of this behavior may be unhealthy or immature. But if it involves consenting
adults — who can refuse sex without reasonable fear of harm — those adults
should be free to make mistakes.

Ultimately, ensuring that sexual consent is always free of pressure is an
impossible goal. Consent advocates already fret that even an explicit “yes” may
not be given freely enough. A series of educational campus posters includes the
warning that “if they don’t feel free to say ‘No,’ it’s not consent”; a
Canadian college campaign cautions that consent is invalid if it’s “muted” or
“uncertain” rather than “loud and clear.”

This advocacy creates a world where virtually any regretted sexual encounter
can be reconstructed as assault (unless the person who regrets it initiated it
while fully sober) and retroactive perceptions of coercion must always be
credited over contemporaneous perceptions of consent — even though we know that
memory often “edits” the past to fit present biases.

In theory, this regime is gender-neutral. Yet real-life cases like the one at
Occidental show a strong presumption — openly acknowledged by a dean at Duke
University — that in a heterosexual encounter, it’s the man who must gain
consent and bear the blame if both partners are intoxicated. Whether cloaked in
traditional chivalry or feminist rhetoric, it’s still a paternalistic double
standard.

It is time to rethink this crusade, which criminalizes bad or uncomfortable
sex, thereby trivializing actual sexual violence. Anti-rape efforts should
focus on criminal conduct and law enforcement responses. In college
communities, young people who feel wronged in sexual situations that stem from
misunderstanding, pressure or insensitivity could be offered support without
being treated as “rape survivors”; remedies might include mediation or joint
counseling, clearly inappropriate in cases of sexual assault. Sexual ethics
based on honesty, respect and communication can be discussed without turning
every lapse into a crime.

The quest for perfect consent is profoundly utopian. Like all such quests that
ignore human realities, it points the way to dystopian nightmare.

(Cathy Young is the author of two books, and a frequent contributor to Reason,
Newsday, and RealClearPolitics.com.)

25. BOOK REVIEW: SHIFTING GROUND – PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AND MOBILITY IN INDIA’S
ENVIRONMENTAL HISTORY
by Shekar Dattatri
(Conservation India - 23 June 2015)

Shifting Ground – People, Animals, and Mobility in India’s Environmental History
Edited by Mahesh Rangarajan and K. Sivaramakrishnan
Oxford University Press

This weighty book, containing 10 essays by as many scholars – and a
comprehensive introduction by its eminent editors – is clearly meant for
consumption primarily by other scholars. To this reviewer, who can at best
describe himself as a discerning reader, the adjective ‘esoteric’ often came to
mind while thumbing through its 310 pages.

Given the extremely wide gamut covered by the essays – from the historical
distribution of one-horned rhinos, to animal sacrifice in Uttarakhand – I often
caught myself asking, “What is the purpose of this book?” The answer can be
glimpsed in this quote from the introduction: “Clearly, the larger picture in a
more globalized India, one with expanding regimes of legally enforceable
rights, is substantively at odds with the picture in the 1980s. Much of what is
contained in this volume will not illuminate this shift in the environmental
debates of the last three decades. But it will present new evidence and
analysis on the historical processes by which people, animals, and social or
physical mobility had consequences for the environment and for ideas of nature,
its conservation, or protection. Case studies dealing with the vast and complex
period of the second millennium CE will indirectly engage the scholarly and
public debate and its shifts, since the 1980s, by reflecting on how a deeper
and more subtly interpreted ecological history does inform contemporary
environmental politics and beliefs.”

The other question that I had about the book was, “What is its relevance in
today’s world?” The answer to this, at least, is quite evident. Knowledge of
history is of crucial importance for many reasons. For one, as the philosopher
and writer, George Santayana, put it succinctly, “those who cannot remember the
past are condemned to repeat it.” But there are other reasons as well, such as
the providing of a wider framework in which to form our beliefs. Hence this
volume is an important addition to the scanty literature on India’s
environmental history. Personally, I felt rewarded for my painstaking reading
of it with a better perspective on certain issues, as the book is peppered with
interesting information and insights.

For instance, commenting on widely held perceptions about pre-colonial and
colonial India, Kathleen D. Morrison, in her essay, ‘Conceiving Ecology and
Stopping the Clock: Narratives of Balance, Loss, and Degradation’, cautions us
against blindly accepting “the idea of a universal colonial watershed.” As she
observes perceptively, while empirical claims such as “India was densely
forested until the 18th century” or “serious impact on the Ghat forests began
only under colonialism” are de rigueur, a careful sifting of the historical
evidence doesn’t quite bear this out. She goes further in demolishing our
romantic visions of the past, when she argues against the popular notion “that
pre-colonial South Asians formed a kind of textbook ecosystem that was stable,
sustaining to its members and in equilibrium.” Conservationists will find much
food for thought in this powerful essay.

There are three other essays that I found particularly fascinating. In ‘From
Eminence to Near Extinction – The Journey of the Greater One-Horned Rhino’,
Shibani Bose meticulously documents the past distribution of the one-horned
rhino, and its erstwhile place in culture and society. That this once widely
distributed animal, which ranged from “Sind to the Brahmaputra valley, as well
as the terai regions of Nepal and Sikkim” is now confined to small pockets in
Assam, West Bengal and Nepal, is tragic. Given that its stronghold, Kaziranga,
is literally bursting at the seams with rhinos, perhaps this knowledge of its
historical distribution can help us help the species recolonize parts of its
former range that are presently protected.

In ‘Lions, Cheetahs, and Others in the Mughal Landscape’, Divyabhanusinh delves
deep into the copious written and pictorial records left by the Mughals, in an
essay replete with interesting and intriguing facts. A quote from Francois
Bernier, a French Physician who travelled the Mughal empire between 1656 and
1668 is particularly striking: “In the neighbourhood of Agra and Delhi along
the course of the Gemna (Jumna) reaching to the mountains (Himalayas) and even
on both sides of the road reaching to Lahor, there is a large quantity of
uncultivated land covered with copse wood or with grasses six feet high.” The
nostalgia engendered by this small historical snippet is almost too much to
bear for those of us who yearn for the vast grasslands that were once a common
feature across India.

Although this essay does not give any estimates of lion or cheetah numbers in
the wild in Mughal times, the records painstakingly unearthed by the author
give us an indication of just how abundant they must have been. He estimates
that about 1500 lions were shot just in the 60 years between 1820 and 1880 in
India outside the Kathiawar peninsula. He goes on to record that during Akbar’s
half-a-century-long reign he is reputed to have collected 9,000 cheetahs!

I will round off this review with the last essay in the book, ‘The ‘Tiger
Crisis’ and the Response: Reclaiming the Wilderness in Sariska Tiger Reserve,
Rajasthan’, which focuses on an issue that is still fresh in the minds of all
conservationists – the local extinction of tigers in Sariska. Ghazala
Shahabuddin is a scientist with years of familiarity with Sariska and, as such,
has had a ringside, clear-headed view of what transpired during and after 2005,
when it was discovered that not a single tiger remained in the reserve.
Examining the causes and effects of this local extinction, and the
reintroduction of tigers that followed, she decries the continuance of the
top-down and unscientific approach adopted by the authorities in managing
l’affaire Sariska, and the tiger crisis in general.

‘Shifting Ground’ lives up to its name in that it clearly shows us that the
world is never static and ever shifting. It demolishes any notions we may have
had of a utopian past where forests and wildlife were universally plentiful,
free of all the problems that plague the present.

Both scholars and lay readers will find the notes at the end of each essay as
interesting and useful as the essays themselves, and the extensive bibliography
at the end a treasure trove worth delving into.

Given its specialized nature, ‘Shifting Ground’ is no easy read, and demands
your undivided attention. While the ‘scholarese’ that pervades the volume can
be intimidating to the non-scholarly, once you get past it, there is much that
is both fascinating and illuminating. I suspect that not all CI readers will
find all the essays to be of relevance. My advice: pick what interests you, and
skim through the rest!

Shekar Dattatri is a Chennai-based wildlife and conservation filmmaker.

26. BOOK REVIEW: KEVIN M. KRUSE. ONE NATION UNDER GOD: HOW CORPORATE AMERICA
INVENTED CHRISTIAN AMERICA. New York: Basic Books, 2015. 384 pp. $29.99
(cloth), ISBN 978-0-465-04949-3.
Reviewed by L. Benjamin Rolsky (Drew University)
Published on H-AmRel (June, 2015)
Commissioned by Bobby L. Smiley

The Businessman's Revival

Once in a blue moon a monograph comes along that both contributes decisively to
an ongoing scholarly conversation and introduces its readers to a plethora of
little-known documents, archives, organizations, and individuals. Not only does
this type of text challenge taken-for-granted historiographic tendencies, but
more importantly it also makes conceptual space for those interested in taking
up one of the many institutions, individuals, or events encountered in the text
as a subject of an undergraduate research paper, graduate seminar paper, or
perhaps even a doctoral dissertation. Historian Kevin M. Kruse’s One Nation
Under God: How Corporate America Made Christian America is just this kind of
book.

Published with Basic Books, One Nation Under God explores the recent political
past of the United States by going back to two of its most iconic moments: the
New Deal of the 1930s and the Cold War scares of postwar America. Spread across
eight chapters and three major sections appropriately titled, “Creation,”
“Consecration,” and “Conflict,” Kruse’s narrative explores a “history that has
been hiding in plain sight” (p. xvi). For Kruse, the notion of America being
“one nation under God” is a very recent and modern one that has very little to
do with the Founding Fathers and everything to do with strategic allegiances
between presidential administrations, various corporate leaders, and the
entertainment industry. Kruse’s task is to explain why so many Americans have
come to believe that the United States has been and always will be a Christian
nation. While his evidentiary base is nothing less than impressive, Kruse’s
overall argument is less so since it has to span virtually the entire twentieth
century while utilizing the ever-useful vignette to illuminate and elucidate
his incisive arguments. Executed in this manner, the text relies heavily on
individual stories to explain an almost century-long process. As a result, we
often hear from the periods’ voices more so than we do from Kruse himself.
Regardless, Kruse’s text is a significant contribution to the history of the
Christian Right, the Cold War, and the culture wars of the recent past for
historians and scholars of American religion.

Kruse’s narrative begins in the tumultuous decades following World War I.
Echoing the recent work of American religious historian Matthew Sutton, Kruse
argues that “corporate titans enlisted conservative clergymen in an effort to
promote new political arguments embodied in the phrase ‘freedom under God’” in
the name of “Christian Libertarianism,” a newly emergent strand of Protestant
thought that supported a mutually supportive relationship between capitalism
and Christianity.[1] For these men, including Congregationalist minister James
W. Fifield Jr. who forged many of the early relationships between industrials
and ministers, Franklin D. Roosevelt’s “New Deal” was nothing less than “pagan
statism.” Not only did the New Deal possess totalitarian tendencies because it
was federally administered, but it also threatened to suffocate the sanctity of
the individual due to its emphasis on social engineering as an outgrowth of the
social gospel. Fifield and others responded vociferously by bringing Wall
Street and Protestant ministers together through organization building
including Spiritual Mobilization, perhaps the most significant product of this
religiously rambunctious period. Such individuals and their political leanings
lend support to one of Kruse’s most powerful arguments: “These businessmen were
alarmed less by the foreign threat of the Soviet Union and more by the domestic
menace of liberalism, which had been recently reinvigorated by President
Truman’s surprising re-election in 1948” (p. 22). Fifield and others were also
willing to use Hollywood’s support for many of their faith drives, including
appearances from Bing Crosby, Cecil B. DeMille, Walt Disney, and even Ronald
during their Fourth of July “Freedom Under God” celebrations in 1951.

Perhaps the most important period in Kruse’s account is this very decade, the
Dwight D. Eisenhower years of the 1950s. For one Baptist minister, government
of the people had descended into “government of the people by pressure groups
for the benefit of minorities” (p. 32). It was up to Eisenhower to respond to
this growing sense of discomfort with the federal government, and not the Cold
War, by addressing what many at the time called a “crisis of spirit.” As Kruse
argues, “Countless people were certainly driven to prayer” by the fear of
nuclear war, but “the spiritual revival of the postwar era was much more than
fallout from the nuclear age” (p. 37). The creation of novel institutions
during the Eisenhower administration, including the Abraham Vereide and Conrad
Hilton-led Presidential Prayer Breakfast with the support of evangelist Billy
Graham, was such a response by the president in an effort to popularize public
prayer at the expense of politicizing it. Despite the focus on domestic
matters, many a minister including Vereide encouraged their congregations to
mobilize against the “forces of the anti-Christ” by making a choice between
“Christ or Communism” (p. 49). In opposition to the progressive, interfaith
“American Way” of the 1930s, Eisenhower helped design “The Credo of the
American Way of Life” with the help of Herbert Hoover and the pro-business
Freedoms Foundation, which appeared in the pages of Reader’s Digest in 1949.
For Kruse, the Eisenhower administration, in addition to Eisenhower’s Oval
Office baptism, did much to ingrain the mentality of “God Consciousness” within
the populous through what can only be called a corporate-led Christianization
effort on par with colonial America’s awakenings and revivals. Despite the
ultimate defeat of the senator-led “Christian Amendment” in 1954, the mottos
“One Nation Under God” and “In God We Trust” acknowledged the country’s
dependence on a higher Christian power beyond the state in an unprecedented,
bipartisan manner. From this moment on, conservative readings of “America’s
fundamental nature would have a seemingly permanent place in the national
imagination” (p. 125).

For Kruse, the Cold War created a false sense of American unity in the face of
a foreign threat that in reality concealed the vehement disagreements taking
place on the ground over the politics of piety and patriotism. “The concept of
‘one nation under God’ had seemed a simple, elegant way to  bring together the
citizens of a broadly religious country,” argues Kruse, “but at the local level
... Americans were anything but united” (p. 170). The various church/state
rulings of the Supreme Court during this period reinforced the on-the-ground
divisions between the future “Silent Majority” of the Nixon era and the
progressive National Council of Churches. Combined with the growing
disillusionment of a multitude of laypersons over their ministers’ support of
the court, this phenomenon led to a “growing gap between leaders of major
denominations and the laypeople to who they ministered” (p. 200). These
religio-political conditions set the stage for not only the emergence of the
Christian Right but also the presidency of Reagan and the culture wars of
America’s late twentieth century. For Reverend George T. Cook, rector of St.
George’s Episcopal Church of Oceanside, New Jersey, the court’s decisions were
hailed by “a small but loud-mouthed group of confused clergy who have supported
the National Council of Churches in its headlong rush towards socialism” (p.
210). Like the earlier comment on interest groups and minority representation,
it is not mere coincidence that both quotes find common causes with our
contemporary political discourse over bailouts, Wall Street, and austerity.

Despite concluding the text with a somewhat rushed epilogue that brings the
reader up to the present, Kruse leaves us with arguably the key to
understanding the ascendance of conservative Protestantism since the 1960s. “If
conservative Christians at the grassroots would simply organize themselves
according to their politics rather than their particular denominations, they
could end the reign of the religious establishment” (p. 237). In short, Kruse
helps us see how the polarization of our current moment finds much of its
initial fervor in the actions of those Christian Libertarians and businessmen
in search of a motto for the nation in uncertain domestic times.

Note

[1]. For more on this argument, see Matthew Sutton, “Was FDR the Antichrist?
The Birth of Fundamentalist Antiliberalism in a Global Age,” Journal of
American History 98, no. 4 (2012), 1052-1074.

South Asia Citizens Wire
Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia. Newsletter of South Asia Citizens Web:
www.sacw.net/

   #####