My experience before 10.04 was that openjdk worked from the command
line, but not in the notebook. This appeared to be the case.
After reading this thread, I tried to drop my .mozilla folder,  which I
have carried for years and now applets do work. More concretely, I
renamed .mozilla into .mozilla-no, and got a freash browser.
I've tried to find the particular file within .mozilla that causes the
trouble, as I want to keep the bookmarks and history, unsuccessfully.