On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 1:13 AM, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Question: would this make it possible to automatically have certain
> python packages installed when Sage builds (after building its python
> of course), perhaps from a list kept in a config file in .sage/ ?  I
> have a list of packages I use a lot (for the lmfdb project), e.g.
> pymongo, and it is a nuisance to have to re-install them from time to
> time.

Post-install hooks is an interesting idea. Even if it weren't
automatic, once we had pip it would be a matter of having a script
my_setup_script.sh containing "pip install foo; pip install bar; ..."
and running "sage -sh my_setup_script.sh

> Since we ship and build python anyway, it seems very reasonable to
> also include this very useful python utility, so +1 from me.

I'm not in favor of installing every useful Python utility, but a huge
+1 to pip to bootstrap the process.  In particular we could get rid of
those optional spkgs that are nothing more than our own (often way
outdated) packaging of other Python projects.

I think this is a separate question from if/how to use it to
augment/replace our package management--I don't think our installer
should be automatically finding and downloading the latest versions
(and the full source tarball should be buildable offline).