On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Tanveer Gani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a way to resize the Jmol window? plot3d doesn't seem to take
> a size parameter

You can use the figsize parameter to change the figure size:

var('x,y')
plot3d(sin(x*y), (x,-pi, pi), (y,-pi,pi),figsize=3)

This is a parameter for all 3d plotting functions.

>  and I couldn't discover any resizing controls on the
> window even though the Jmol homepage seems to indicate that resizing
> should be possible.

It should be, and I've written some demo code to do it, but never polished
it enough to go in sage.  It's particularly easy in conjunction with jquery,
which is included in Sage.  But this functionality isn't nicely exposed.
I.e., it should be that when one draws a 3d plot, then the plot can be
dynamically
resized, and this wouldn't be that hard to implement using jquery, but
nobody has
done it yet.

> Also, is there a way to set the aspect ratio? E.g.
>
> var('t')
> parametric_plot((sin(t),cos(t)), 0, 2*float(pi))
>
> produces a very elliptical looking circle.

Use the aspect_ratio option to show:

var('t')
parametric_plot((sin(t),cos(t)), 0, 2*float(pi)).show(aspect_ratio=1)

Use the aspect_ratio or frame_aspect_ratio options in 3d:

var('x,y')
show(plot3d(sin(x*y), (x,-pi, pi),
(y,-pi,pi),figsize=3,frame_aspect_ratio=[1,1,1]))

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics