On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 11:25 AM kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Though see this:
> https://www.wolfram.com/engine/faq/#can-i-use-the-free-engine-in-an-open-source-project

That says " However, the Free Engine license does not permit end-user
use, except when this use is for further development. For end-user
uses, users must have a separate license for the Wolfram Engine."
which seems to me to make it crystal clear that it would not be legal
to install cocalc-docker (or even Jupyter notebook) and along with
Wolfram Engine and use it for any purpose except for development of
cocalc or Jupyter itself (i.e., to make sure the UI works).
Everything in that FAQ is about "developing a product".  This is a
license aimed at increasing the number of reasons people will buy
Mathematica, by being nice to developers who are building products
that use Mathematica.

The discussions like this

https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/274333/wolfram-engine-jupyter-stackrel-mathematica

(and the corresponding reddit thread) seem to me to be wildly
optimistic in their interpretation.

Anyway, I'm not a lawyer, though I applaud Wolfram, Inc. for posting
that very clearly worded plain language FAQ instead of just some
massive wall of legalese.

William

--
William (http://wstein.org)