I am wondering if anyone has experience installing Sage on Windows via WSL,
and calling Sage as an executable from another program that's installed
locally on Windows.

My particular use case is processing Sage plot images in a PreTeXt document.

I could install everything for PreTeXt via WSL but I already have most
things locally installed: LaTeX, Python, VScode, etc.
Sage is the only missing piece.

For a PreTeXt book with Sage graphics, there's a Python script that
extracts the Sage code, sends it to the Sage exectuable, and saves the
resulting image.

I'm not sure how to have a Python script running locally on Windows call an
executable in WSL.