Hi,

I have a pair of Sophos UTM firewalls that provide a VPN between two locations.
On my end we are on a 172.16.x.x subnet and at the other end it's 172.17.x.x. I
am using Servers Alive (SA) to ping test 10 different devices on the 172.17.x.x
end of the VPN but SA frequently shows that the devices are down when they
actually are up.

I have SA configured with the Sophos UTM ping test as the primary connection
and then the rest of the devices dependent on the Sophos being up. I have
played around with the timeout value set as high as 25 ms on all the devices as
well as dropping the success % down to 50 but I still am getting frequent false
downs. I verify whether there's a down condition by command-line pinging or
remotely accessing devices while SA indicates Down.

I also have a ping utility called Ping Plotter that keeps a history of periodic
pinging that shows ping success/fail as well as average response time which is
roughly 75 ms and very infrequent fails.

Any suggestions on SA settings that might fix my false downs?

Bob Hartung, Dir of I.T.
Wisco Industries, Inc.
736 Janesville St.
Oregon, WI 53575