> On    Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:00:28 +0100, Frode Tenneboe said:
> > 6MHz in theory. I can't remember the exact details, but I think
> > it was possible to achieve speeds close to that by using
> > uncontended banks and turning off the screen duing border
> > updates.
>
> There are no uncontended banks on Sam unless you have an external
> memory add-on.  And turning the screen off has no effect unless the
> TV scan is actually in the screen area (except in mode 1).

Hmm...I was pretty sure about the contention, either every second block
or page I seem to recall. However, it's been a while so I might be
wrong. For the screen off, I am again wrong. :) I just remember using
it on a mandelbrot generation program some years ago to speed up things.

> > But the point is that the screen is 3.5x larger, the processor
> > speed is not. I'd like to have a blitter or dma or somthing.
>
> If it can't be done in mode 3 or 4 then it will have to be done in
> mode 2.  But I think that for line drawing the disadvantage will not
> be anywhere near 3.5x even in mode 3.  If you want it filled then
> that's a different matter...

I also remember something about the CPU being slightly faster in
mode 3 than i mode 4. Can't remember if that was with or without
the screen turend off. Though - mode 2 should be small enough
for 2/3 action.

> Of course the dashboard can be in mode 4 whatever mode the windscreen
> is in. :-)

How about a transparency film to stick onto the screen? ;)

 -Frode