I don't know when it started.. but I first found out about them last year
(having some European house mates helped in discovering them).

I don't think I've even seen them advertised in shops like WH Smiths... but
your average post office should sell them. They look like the standard "1st"
and "2nd" class stamps, except they're dark blue, and have an "E" in the
corner... and you get airmail stickers with them...

They're also more expensive than "1st" class...

Justin