I do understand DirectX... I don't see it as additional weight in general
use...

What I am saying is this: If we were to make an operating system with the
look and feel of the SAM Coupe, DirectX would probably not be needed IF AND
ONLY IF we were to replace it with a scheme to access the multitude of
graphics cards in the "PEEK/POKE" way of the SAM!

Justin.