OK then. I'll start working on it in a couple of weeks time when I get
myself a half-decent PC with linux on it...

Any chance of looking at some source code that deals with the SAM disk
layout (especially the data manipulation parts)? the actualy linuxy bits
should be a peice of cake... :) (...famous last words from a professional
linux driver writer).

If all goes well, theoretically, we should be able to mount standard .dsk
files as loopback devices, aswell. Then again, that also depends on the
format for .dsk!