To: <sam-users@nvg.ntnu.no>
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 10:52 AM
Subject: RE: Multiplayer Sam

Aley wrote:
No complete dump! You just need to start with the same
emulator.exe file, the same ROM files, and DSK/TAP file. Then
you send keys (+ additional I/O input, if it's random).
That's all you need to handle.

Sam doesn't have any ability of real random number
generation. It's never random. All pseudo-random numbers are
generated from register values, which are always all the
same, except I/O input. So I/O is the only thing you need to store.

That won't work. Sorry.

Games run on a 1/50th of a second clock. That's one tick every 20ms.

It takes 10ms to get to the first hop outside of my home on the network.

Which means that the minimum round trip - assuming perfect network
conditions - is 20ms. With that little leeway, the moment anything stalls,
everyones game will have to freeze. (Sometimes, I get 15ms to the local
backbone... Other times, I get 66ms).

Modern games go to HUGE lengths to get around network lag, including user
action prediction, interpolation, etc etc. (take a look at how they did it
on Halo 2 - you can find the article on howitworks.com ).

You could get Chaos to work, because it's a turn-by-turn game. That's about
it.