Sam is dead. So what survival are you talking about?
/---
Aley

----- Original Message ----- From: "Calvin Allett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <sam-users@nvg.ntnu.no>
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:49 AM
Subject: Biggest Risk to SAM?

Sorry for the blatent rip off of a thread I seen on
WoS
but what do you guys reckon` is the biggest risk for
SAMs
longterm survival/rememberance?

To me it`s userbase... There`s possibly a smaller user
base than any machine, yet actual more web presence
than some of the older VERY early 80`s computers,
there`s mebeez (and probably) more people with those
machines that remember and might come into the
`scene`, even as casual users for those but with us
there is such a small community that despite all
exciting stuff I feel worried sometimes :)

I know you guys do your things still with the machine,
give it the time it deserves and hardware wise and
some of the software in past 3 years has been immense
but is there anybody even here who isn`t a developer?

It makes me sad but I simply can`t believe that a
machine with all the character and appeal of the SAM
is essentially `ignored` by soo soo many Spectrum
owners that I know would be excited/amazed (especially
the Basic Programmers of them *_+ ) by it... Have a
linux nut friend who`s totally C64/Risc/PC oriented
and yet loves the machine and thinks of it as (his
words) - a kinda alterbntive/flavoured PC, he thinks
the Spectrum is lame, being a C64 nut but for him
having been `forced` to view SAM stuff by me he gives
it respect, and even Personal Computer World called it
once the 8-bit Archimedes, even if we all begrudge the
fact that we undrstand the speed/ahem/issues with SAM
(Mayehem accelorator, woohoo , :))

I remember in the early dying days of Amiga Format
94-96 , or rather perhaps Amiga Computing there were
some quite intensive 6-8 page conference like
`meetings` between those in the magazine writer stable
and the `names` of the coding scene about the  future
and direction of the Amiga, I keep thinking that the
Spectrum scene needs something like this and yet we
all know the Spectrum will be around in fourty-fifty
years, can the same be said of the SAM?

Sorry for ramble :(

Just interested in what everybody perceives to be SAM
/ `our` fate regarding the SAM Coupe :)

Cal *_+