Hopefully we understand the behaviour of the current ASIC well enough for
someone to create a replacement, or (as you're suggesting) and enhanced version
that is backwards compatible.  It's not a small task though!

I have a bunch of test programs that Dave and I wrote for SimCoupe, which
tested tested various fringe cases and display quirks.  It'd be cool for those
to contribute back to real hardware  :)

Si