If it's for some sort of quick attempt at multipart megademo (albeit
with all the parts being extremely similar), would it be safe to
assume that someone [else] is working on the music? I'd love to be
able to contribute but music is completely beyond me.

Re: Aley's comments on a 4bpp 64-byte pitch mode (so, the same number
of fetches as Mode 2, even with the same memory layout if they really
wanted, but to produce a 128x192 display), I'd have been all for it,
even as a replacement for Mode 2. Though obviously hardware scrolling
would be quite a way above it on a wish list...