The Wall Street Journal
REVIEW & OUTLOOK
The 12-Year War
The costs of "containing" Saddam include the rise of Osama bin Laden.
Tuesday, March 18, 2003 12:01 a.m. EST

Amid the fog of diplomacy these past few months, it has been easy to lose
sight of American purposes in Iraq. But as President Bush reminded us last
night, the imminent war to liberate the world from Saddam Hussein is both
just and necessary.

The fighting that will soon commence is not in fact the start of this war.
It is the beginning of the end of a war that began when Saddam invaded
Kuwait on August 2, 1990. The first President Bush rallied the world to roll
that invasion back but failed to seize the moment to gain a permanent
victory. The Iraq war has continued ever since, with Saddam's agents
attempting to assassinate the elder Mr. Bush and shoot down U.S. pilots.

In that sense this war is above all about American self-defense. Saddam may
lack the means to invade the U.S., but we learned on September 11 that
enemies can strike our homeland in other ways. With revenge as a motive,
horrifying weapons as a means and terrorists willing to serve as his
opportunity, Saddam poses a clear and present danger to Americans.

We cannot be sure that he has not already hit us. The opponents of disarming
Saddam have sneered even at the possibility of a link between al Qaeda and
Iraq, but that is not the kind of linkage either side would advertise. There
is plenty of evidence that Iraq has harbored al Qaeda members, among other
curious facts detailed by Laurie Mylroie. Mr. Bush has declared a "war on
terror" and Saddam's Iraq is terrorism with an address.

We know that if nothing else Saddam and al Qaeda share the common goal of
punishing the U.S. and driving us from the Mideast. In his famous 1998 fatwa
endorsing the murder of Americans, "civilian and military alike," Osama bin
Laden mentioned two main complaints: First, that U.S. troops were deployed
on the Islamic holy land of Arabia, and second that U.S. planes continued to
bomb Iraq while enforcing the U.N.'s no-fly zones.

Osama's jihad--and therefore September 11 itself--is in other words one
direct consequence of the past 12 years of U.S. "containment" of Saddam.
Without his continuing threat, American troops would not need to be
stationed in Saudi Arabia and U.S. fighters would not still patrol the skies
over Iraq. While fretting about the costs of going to Baghdad, those who
favor a policy of sanctions and diplomacy have never been honest about the
real costs of containment.

Yes, it would be nice if President Bush now led the same global alliance
that his father enjoyed in 1991. But he made every attempt to enlist that
support in the U.N., only to run up against French and Russian intransigence
that was beyond any persuasion. The failure to secure Turkish support is a
bigger problem and was a misstep. Why Secretary of State Powell never
traveled to Ankara remains a mystery.

But in the end Mr. Bush will lead a coalition that is large enough to do the
job. It includes Tony Blair's Britain, Spain, Italy, nearly all of the newly
free states of Eastern Europe and Australia. Now that they believe Saddam's
days are finally numbered, Iraq's neighbors are also lining up on America's
side. Even the Saudis are allowing U.S. base rights after months of
fence-sitting.

These countries understand that America is the only protector the world now
has against monsters like Saddam. The U.N. cannot defend them in a crisis,
and the French will gladly sell the ammunition to the tyrant who shoots
them. As in Kosovo and Somalia and Afghanistan, if the U.S. fails to lead an
effort against scourges or dictators, their tyranny will continue.

The end of the 12-year Iraq war could produce other, longer-term benefits
beyond security. One is that the forces of Islamic extremism will have
suffered another blow, emboldening more moderate forces to speak against
them. Another is the opportunity to rebuild a self-governing Iraq that is a
lesson to the rest of the Arab and Muslim world.

The mullahs of Iran, already ruling precariously, may well face a more
powerful public uprising. The Saudis may conclude that they no longer need
to wink at the bin Ladens of their society to stay in power. In the best
case, the Arab world will begin to accept political pluralism and enter the
21st century, or at least the 20th.

Of course there are costs and dangers to removing Saddam now. The law of
unintended consequences hasn't been repealed, no war ever goes precisely as
planned, and some Americans and civilians will die. The justification for
those deaths is that they will save more lives in the long run. Saddam's
agents will no doubt unleash whatever havoc they can, perhaps even in
America itself, but that should only underscore that sooner or later they
would have done so anyway.

The largest risk is an imponderable: whether Americans can generate the
political consensus to sustain involvement in Iraq. Toppling Saddam is a
long-term undertaking, as the stories now leaking about the Administration's
plans reveal. With the exception of post-World War II, the U.S. has never
been good at nation-building. At least we seem to be learning from early
mistakes in Afghanistan, suggesting that we may do better in Iraq.

The polls show that most Americans understand the coming burden and still
favor war; after 9/11 they realize the dangers of ignoring foreign threats.
About U.S. elites there are greater doubts. Our liberal pundits and
politicians are fickle interventionists; many of them signed on early to
topple Saddam but have lately been offering caveats and cavils as D-Day
approaches. Will they run for moral cover if the going gets tough, as they
did in Vietnam?

About one thing we have no doubt: the courage of the Americans who will
fight in our defense. We trust that their generals will be as daring, and
their President as determined, as American soldiers will be in pursuing
victory.