Press Statement

While we refuse the endangering of the lives of civilians, we maintain that the return to service of Saddam’s Republican Guard in Fallujah to the military and political arena is a military initiative of the American Marines and has nothing to do with the new Iraqi Army. We do not bear the responsibility.

We stand strongly against this move because it seriously threatens the security and future of Iraq.  The command of the brigade and many of its members repressed the people in the uprising of March 1991 and supported Saddam’s regime throughout his dictatorial rule.

Defense Minister Ali Allawi said "The Fallujah Force is not part of the new Iraqi Army. There is no place in the new Iraqi Army for senior officers of Saddam's Republican Guards or those who have committed crimes against the Iraqi people."  We endorse the statement of the Iraqi Defense Minister.

Ahmad Chalabi, INC, Member Governing Council
Dr. Sayed Mohammed Bahrululum, Member Governing Council
Adel Abdul Mahdi, Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq, Alternate Member Governing Council

Baghdad
May 1, 2004

If you have any questions please contact Mr. Entifadh K. Qanbar Spokesperson of the Iraqi National Congress at 202 497 1797 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]