INC Denounces CIA Smear Campaign

WASHINGTON, DC (3 May, 2004):  The Iraqi National
Congress today denounced a CIA-orchestrated smear
campaign aimed at damaging the INC and Ahmad Chalabi.
Newsweek magazine has published false allegations by
anonymous CIA sources that the INC has provided
sensitive information to the government of Iran that
may endanger the lives of US service personnel.

"The allegations in Newsweek are absolutely false,"
said INC spokesperson Entifadh Qanbar.  "The INC is an
ally of the United States and our personnel are
risking their lives daily to support US military and
intelligence operations," he said.

"It is well known that the CIA is opposed to the INC
and our objective of defeating Baathism and bringing
democracy to Iraq," Qanbar said.  "Newsweek has
confirmed to us that US intelligence officers known to
be hostile to the INC were the source of their story.
We urge the Bush administration to distance itself
from these false and dangerous allegations.  The Bush
administration must recognize and support America's
allies if it hopes to be successful in Iraq," Qanbar
said.

Contact:  Entifadh Qanbar tel +1-202-497-1797 or email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]