Washington Post
Pentagon Official Admits Iraq Errors
By Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writer
July 13, 2005

Douglas J. Feith, a top Pentagon official who was deeply involved in
planning the Iraq war, said there were significant missteps in the
administration's strategy, including the delayed transfer of power to a new
Iraqi government, and said he did not know whether the invading U.S. force
was the right size.

In an interview as he concludes his tenure as undersecretary of defense for
policy, Feith acknowledged that there were "trade-offs" and "pros and cons"
to the Pentagon's plan to use a relatively small invasion force in Iraq,
voicing uncertainty about whether that decision was correct. The war's
"rolling start" with a streamlined ground force achieved some tactical
surprise, he said, potentially averting a longer war and other catastrophes
such as destruction of Iraqi oil fields. But he acknowledged that a small
force had drawbacks, and others have criticized the plan for failing to stop
widespread looting and insecurity after the Saddam Hussein's government fell
in April 2003.

"I am not asserting to you that I know that the answer is, we did it right.
What I am saying is it's an extremely complex judgment to know whether the
course that we chose with its pros and cons was more sensible," Feith said
in a 90-minute interview Monday evening at his Bethesda home.

Feith's resignation was announced in January. His comments are a rare public
sign of doubt about Iraqi policy by a Pentagon official.

He said mistaken actions and policies in Iraq resulted in frequent "course
corrections," pointing to two that he considered significant -- both
resulting from an early failure to put Iraqis in charge.

First, the United States missed the opportunity before the war to train
enough Kurds and other Iraqi exiles to assist the U.S. military, he said.
"That didn't happen in the numbers we had hoped," he said.

A plan to train an estimated 5,000 Iraqi exiles in Hungary produced instead
only a few hundred, in part because U.S. military leaders at Central
Command, which oversees the Middle East, were uncomfortable with it.
Training Iraqi forces has since emerged as the central thrust of the U.S.
exit strategy for Iraq.

Even more important, Feith said, was the reluctance among some U.S.
officials to transfer power early on to an Iraqi government and dismantle
the U.S. occupation authority, the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA),
headed by Ambassador L. Paul Bremer.

"How would Iraq have been different if we had terminated the CPA in May or
June of 'o3?" and created an Iraqi government, he asked. "Some people said
if you do that and it fails, you'll set the country back irretrievably and .
. . the only way you could set up a government early on would be to rely
unduly on the 'externals,' " he said, referring to Iraqi exiles.

"My views were generally in favor of transferring responsibility to the
Iraqis earlier. I thought there were ways of getting the 'internals'
involved earlier," he said, speaking of prospective Iraqi leaders inside the
country who were not well known to the United States before the invasion.

On troop levels in Iraq, Feith said U.S. military commanders -- not the
Pentagon -- determined the flow of and number of forces into the country. "I
don't believe there was a single case where the commander asked for forces
and didn't get them . . . the commander controlled the forces in the
theater," he said.

Senior U.S. Army officers dispute this view, saying the Pentagon cut off the
planned influx of nine division-equivalents into Iraq in the war's initial
phase. Feith acknowledged it is difficult to strike the right balance
between having too few troops to provide security and an overly large
occupation force, which he said risked "increasing antagonism, increasing
friction, increasing the number of soldiers we had sitting around waiting
for intelligence that we didn't have."

"Ultimately, people are going to be able to go back and make judgments week
by week" about whether troop levels were adequate, he said. He declined to
comment on a possible timetable for U.S. withdrawal from Iraq.