Hello,
        I am building a linux/samba server to backup some nt servers and would
appreciate some suggestions/pointers/criticisms etc...  I googled for "samba backup"
but could not find many similar solutions.
        need...  Full/incremental network backups for 2=nt and 1=win2k servers.
Ability to choose which folders/files get included/excluded.  No software costs.
        motivation...  Full drive backups exceed 1 dds3 tape but some files do not
need backup.  NT backup makes include/exclude difficult.  win2k backup difficult to
script.  Will move from NT to linux/samba eventually.  Tape drive failures cause main
server downtime.
        gameplan...  Build Linux-samba box with 3 dds3 drives and 4 100Mb nics.  Add
another nic to each nt/win2k server.  Build 3 crossover ethernet cables.  Configure
nics with private ip addresses.  Mount nt shares with smbfs or use smbclient.  Linux
script backsup/compresses specific nt files to a local tar file and then copy file to
tape.

I had some problems connecting via the crossover cable, but did connect via primary
nics.  If anyone has attempted something similar, let me know.

Thanks,

Dale