On 2010-10-04 16:23, John Drescher wrote:
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Peter Rindfuss<rindf...@wzb.eu>  wrote:
There was an earlier thread about failing trust relationships between
Windows 7 and Samba. Since we occasionally experience the same problem with
Win 7 clients against a Samba 3.5.4 server, I investigated this a bit
further.

I think it happens when
- the time to change the machine password has arrived
- the Win 7 machine is up, but no one is logged on (login box is shown on
the screen).

To reproduce this, I reduced the machine password change interval to one day
on a test computer, then let the login prompt sit there for a day or so -
and indeed I could not log in anymore because of a trust relationship
failure. I will try this a couple more times.

I hope this helps to find a remedy.

Did you ever solve this issue? How did you change the "machine
password change interval"?

I just had a single windows 7 box fail trust relationship and I saw
that the last modify time in ldap for that account was August 30,
2010.

John

Our solution: We disabled the machine password change on all win7 clients by setting
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
 DisablePasswordChange = dword:1
We never had a single issue after that.

The "machine password change interval" can be set in the client's registry with
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
 MaximumPasswordAge = dword:n, n being a number of days.
Default is 30.

Instead "DisablePasswordChange = 1" we might have tried
"MaximumPasswordAge = 1000000", a million days.

Finally, we might have tried against an MS server
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
 RefusePasswordChange = dword:1
Note that this is a server setting, not a client setting.
In Samba, it should translate to "sambaRefuseMachinePwdChange = 1" in LDAP.

Peter