I'd like to know the advantages out there in the field, using CUPS to print
from the PDC. To me it sounds like just adding another single point of
failure in the network, perhaps I am being blinded by windows printing
issues to see the advantage in running all the prints via a PDC box?

Centralized management of printers? Print job accounting? Network printing to printers without a network interface?
These examples can be important in some environments.