Wow, this is a PITA. Googling for that error didn't reveal anything helpful.

I had the exact same problem. Plus, all my attempts at producing a .rpm package failed because the provided .spec template has serious problems, namely with the... man pages. Or maybe the flaw is with me, since I don't know how to write a samba.spec from scratch?

PS: This email would be a lot easier to read if mailing lists supported <code> tags, or if Samba had a forum or bulletin board. :)

Yes, a forum would be a great idea!