I'm running IIS5 on windows 2000 with the root web directory mapped to a samba directory. Everything works great except for IIS's asp caching. Unless I explicitly disable asp script file caching, IIS refuses to invalidate cached asp files without a reboot. Research, including the following MS kb entry, indicates that the problem is that IIS is not getting the file change notification from samba:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281253

I traced the code in notify.c and verified that samba is noticing the file change and sending off a notification to IIS, but IIS is evidently not recognizing the message.

Any idea what's going on?

Following is my compile configuration and my smb.conf. I'm running samba 2.2.7a on a RedHat 7.2 box with a custom 2.4.19 kernel with ext3/acl support.

-hal

****
/configure \
--prefix=%{prefix} \
--localstatedir=/var \
--with-configdir=/etc/samba \
--with-privatedir=/etc/samba \
--with-codepagedir=/etc/codepages \
--with-fhs \
--with-quotas \
--with-msdfs \
--with-smbmount \
--with-pam \
--with-pam_smbpass \
--with-syslog \
--with-utmp \
--with-sambabook=%{prefix}/share/swat/using_samba \
--with-swatdir=%{prefix}/share/swat \
--with-libsmbclient \
--with-acl-support \
--with-syslog
****
netbios name = FILE-CYBER
workgroup = HLS_BERKMAN
server string = Samba Server

hosts allow = 140.247.
interfaces = 140.247.216.161/16

# printcap name = /etc/printcap
# load printers = yes
# printing = lprng

; guest account = pcguest

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
syslog = 0

security = domain
password server = cyber-server
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

;remote browse sync = 140.247.21.28
remote announce = 140.247.21.27/HLS_BERKMAN 140.247.21.28/HLS_BERKMAN 140.247.216.255/HLS_BERKMAN

local master = yes
; domain master = no
preferred master = yes
domain logons = no

; logon script = %m.bat
logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

wins server = 140.247.21.28
dns proxy = no

nt acl support = yes
force unknown acl user = yes

; ldap admin dn = "cn=root,dc=cyber,dc=law,dc=harvard,dc=edu"
; ldap server = localhost
; ldap port = 389
; ldap suffix = "dc=cyber,dc=law,dc=harvard,dc=edu"

winbind separator = .
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind use default domain = true
template homedir = /home/%U
template shell = /sbin/restricted-shell

admin users = HLS_BERKMAN.Administrator HLS_BERKMAN.superhal HLS_BERKMAN.superjesse

#valid users = "HLS_BERKMAN.Domain Users"

create mask = 0640
directory mask = 0750

oplocks = no
kernel oplocks = no
csc policy = disable
locking = yes
level2 oplocks = no

change notify timeout = 5

log level = 0

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[data]
comment = data share
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /space/data

[team]
comment = team share
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /space/team

[inetpub]
comment = inetpub share
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /space/inetpub
oplocks = no
level 2 oplocks = no

[installs]
comment = installs share
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /space/installs

[officeXP]
comment = office xp install share
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /space/officeXP

[Office2000]
comment = office xp install share
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /space/Office2000

[W2K]
comment = win2k install disk share
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /space/W2K

[eon_wwwroot]
comment = cyber eon/ web directory
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /space/eon_wwwroot

[realcontent]
comment = realcontent share
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /space/realcontent

[LogFiles]
comment = archived cyber log files
browseable = yes
writable = yes
path = /space/LogFiles
valid users = HLS_BERKMAN.superhal, HLS_BERKMAN.hroberts, HLS_BERKMAN.superjess, HLS_BERKMAN.jross, HLS_BERKMAN.bedelman

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes