On 06/22/2011 12:31 AM, mrArcabuz wrote:
Hi, it's been a while since the original message appeared, but here's my
experience in case someone finds it useful:

[...]

  I changed the machine account name to uppercase in the passwd & shadow
files and the message does not appear anymore in the logs.

  This would explain why it's not an issue on an LDAP backend, as the uid
there is case insensitive.

I have experienced the same issue with the same configuration (PDB backend, no LDAP) and I can confirm that /etc/passwd entries created by adding machines to domain (via the "add machine script") show an UPPERCASE name in Samba (that is, when I issue a "pdbedit -L" command) but a lowercase name in /etc/passwd, resulting in errors being logged when the machine connects to Samba because its username (uppercase) cannot be found in /etc/passwd (where it is written in lowercase).

The workaround is in fact to edit /etc/passwd to se the machines usernames to uppercase.

I don't understand why and when this behaviour changed.

I have a very old Samba installation that shows the older machine entries in PDB file being lowercase, as in this example:

#pdbedit -L
nb-gmg$:1051:NB-GMG$

and other entries in the same PDB file being all uppercase, like this:

NOTEBOOK-FLAVIA$:4294967295:NOTEBOOK-FLAVIA$

Since all of the /etc/passwd file entries are lowercase, the second example (NOTEBOOK-FLAVIA$) does not authenticate correctly. You can also see that the output of the "pdbedit -L" command reports a wrong unix UID (4294967295) for the uppercase entry, because it cannot find it in /etc/passwd (being lowercase in passwd).

If I edit /etc/passwd and set the username in uppercase there, then everything works, and also the unix UID shown by "pdbedit -L" is correct.

--

Fabio "Kurgan" Muzzi

- IZ4UFQ -

Giaaaanniiii! L'ottimismo e' il profumo di quella gnocca di tua sorella!Corri anche tu alla UniEuro!Ci sono radio che traspirano, cani di un'altra galassia!!!