Michael Lueck wrote:

Also remember, every change you make to a client is one more thing to screw up

If you're going to compute that way, then put the computer back in the box and leave it on the client's desk and tell them to never open the box! ;-)

When doing sysadmin isn't your only job, and/or there are systems that get sent to remote locations, you'll change your tune... (without the software you obviously have, that I should probably remind that some places just cannot afford) Nothing is worse than either :
A. being 2 hours deep into a thought process programming and then having some user come bug you because <barely used/often neglected feature X> doesn't work for them because of some obscure configuration issue.
B. Sending a machine offsite where you don't have access to it and finding some tweak you do for everyone in the office but forgot to do to their machine, couple that with a user that cannot deal with a little phone walkthrough and you have a fun day ahead of you.

That, in a nutshell, is why *I* advocate to change the server whenever possible. You got to buy some fantastic software, and I have to fight to buy a new mouse... I would guess many smallish businesses have the same situation.

although in this case it sounds as if you're doing it automatically.

Ja, of course! Das is good! I would want to run around to thousands of computers and try to configure them all the same way by hand why...??? I could easilly forget steps on this machine or that one, slight configuration details to drive me insain when one computer out of the bunch does not work properly. Automatically with LOGGING as the truth is in the logs... many automated systems skimp on logs... shame shame shame on them.

So do us a favor and let us in on what you're using in case anyone else wants to know...

--
Paul Gienger Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc. Information Systems Consultant Fax: 701-281-1322