Axel Thimm wrote:

what are the essential differences between a Samba 3 controlled domain
(thus an NT4-legacy domain) vs an ADS Microsoft controlled domain?

AFAICT single-sign on, common password backends etc. can be modelled
with LDAP & KRB. Without ADS I cannot use some Microsoft GUIs to
add/edit/remove users/printers/file shares. Also deploying group
policies seems to be harder.

What are the true reasons for going ADS, and what can be done against
it? ;)

And what are blockers for a Linux/Unix environment to go ADS? Is LDAP
scripting with ADS as easy as with OpenLDAP for instance? Can I place
all my NIS schemes onto ADS' LDAP, or will I stumble over proprietary
"extensions".

Background: A medium sized educational facility (order 1000 nodes and
users) considers consolidating Linux and Windows >= 2000
authentication services and the Win-fraction praises ADS for it, while
the Linux fraction shivers with the idea of having the most important
piece of security lost to a black box ...

One thing Samba can't do is deploying software installation to all of its clients (consider updating Office on 1000 machines, by going from one to another).
Of course it can be achieved by other means, but there is no "golden" method yet - see "distribute/deploy software to clients" topic which started a couple of days ago and is still alive.