Ryan Steele wrote:
All,

I desperately need a resolution to this issue. I've asked once (about a day or two ago), but I haven't heard anything back. The only reason I press the issue is I may because without a quick resolution, I may be forced to switch over to AD (cry!). I submitted a request via Bugzilla but I saw a slightly similar problem with 3.0.20a that still hasn't been resolved, so I thought this might be a quicker route? Here's a synopsis:

(snip
shows that there is still a connection open to this folder.... an smbstatus confirms.... After a few minutes, the user for that pid changes to root, and the process just sits in there forever, sucking up 0.9% of memory. This happens with EVERY share Windows opens, and when it gets in this state, I can't open any new shares. I've tried using the "deadtime" option to kill these...no dice, they still hang around. In fact, the only thing that gets rid of them is a 'killall -9 smbd'. So, basically I'm stuck with restarting Samba every time too many files/folders get opened on the server...in a production environment! Is this a bug in 3.0.22? Is there some option that is needed to kill Windows connections to Samba servers? This is most troublesome!

I run XP SP2 clients connecting to FC4.  I do my own compilations
of samba from svn.  Currently Version 3.0.23pre2-SVN-build-15985.

I use this line in smb.conf:
socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=65536
SO_RCVBUF=65536

Maybe the lack of the keepalive is working against you.

Nothing else stands out to me.

Regards, Doug