Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

Henrik,

You were right. ( as usual.. )
I had the wrong FQDN on the samba server.
After reconfiguring my network and I got the FQDN back from 'hostname' the join worked as planned.

For the record, this is what WinXP does as well.
You cannot join a WinXP box to a domain using a non-admin
account if the client's FQDN is outside the AD domain.

I agree this is a change from previous Samba version,
but then previous Samba releases always required domain
admin creds to join.

Any predictions on how this will effect existing machines
that are in a different FQDN?  I have some systems in this state.

Regards, Doug