pagod wrote:
if i try something like this:
smbmount //fili/xlibs /mnt/temp -o username=dvergnaud
i get the following error:
3600: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

the weird thing is, it all works fine when doing it from another linux
computer (where linux runs natively). that means, as i see it, that either
there's a problem with VMware and samba working together, or my samba client
is not properly configured -- although i'm not aware that it's much
configurable...
has anyone already had such a problem? or does anyone have an idea what i'm
doing wrong?

Vmware itself is not a problem. I use it without problem and I believe some of the samba developement is done on vmware machines.

Things to check are firewalling on the Linux box, and which of the available vmware network options you used. Bridged, private or NAT.

Regards, Doug