Darryl Tidd wrote:
Frank Van Damme wrote:
On 9/28/07, Tomasz Chmielewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Darryl Tidd schrieb:
I am running Kubunt 7.04.  I downloaded the latest Samba release from
samba.org. I configured and installed Samba. However, after doing all
this, I can't seem to get Samba to run.  I have tried starting smbd,
winbindd, nmbd, sambaclient, samba, and swat.  I either get a message
that the program is not installed or the computer just does nothing.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Why don't you just get Kubuntu Samba packages?

Apparently, you don't really know what you are doing ("I have tried
starting smbd, winbindd, nmbd, sambaclient, samba, and swat")

... and you (the OP) should have a clear idea of what you're trying to
achieve with Samba. Like: set up some simple shares, make home
directories available over the network, or the same but including
keeping your sister from overwriting your files,...

Now it seems I really don't know what I'm doing. it appears I replied to a post with no reply included. Talk about your bone headed things to do. I only realized it today when I was wondering why no one replied to my reply, well my reply didn't include a reply, so why would anyone reply. HuH?

Anyway. you guys were both right, I didn't know what I was doing, and I didn't have a clear idea of what I was wanted to do. In the meantime, I have samba up and running. Still trying to figure out exactly what to do next. Thanks for the responses.
Darryl