Marcin Kucharczyk wrote:
DV> You should be able to delete /var/db/samba (plus maybe the pid file) and
DV> restart samba. Samba will create any tdb files it needs like the DV> initial startup.

Tried ... reinstall was required

Some mor information:

It looks like the same or similar problem:
  http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2007-August/134620.html

My system works with ayhlion 64 x2, but I had similar problem on single
processor configuration: pentium 4 and duron too. The problem apears not only
after power failure, but also after samba upgrade from ports - make deinstall
reinstall. /var/db/samba need to be deleted before reinstall becase samba
3.0.26a has the problem with start with tdb files form 3.0.23c.
Better file a bug report then.
https://bugzilla.samba.org/enter_bug.cgi

Regards, Doug