joop gerritse wrote:
Hello, *

After some good advice from the list, I now have my workgroup visible. Next problem.

I click on it from my win98 station (yes, it is old; I even have a w95 workstation somewhere :-) ) and I get "can't find share name".

Now I look in the samba logs, and I see that it is looking for /usr/local/samba/netlogon, which doesn't exist. Oops, error!

The netlogon happens to be in /etc/samba/netlogon, so I change the path in smb.conf and restart Samba.

I try again, but now my Win98 station keeps trying to access /usr/local/samba/netlogon. How come?

I suppose that the easiest way out is to put a link to the right location in /usr/local, but somehow that doesn't feel right.

Joop,

Are you only running one version of samba? I'm assuming you compiled your own if it's in the /usr/local hierarchy. Perhaps your distro shipped with a version that you forgot to take out?