Ash Gosh wrote:
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Ash Gosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi!

I need to create a share that will be readoble by root only (by owner) and
writeable for all. We replacing a dead Windows NT 4.0 server and there was a
permission type called "Add" and our users uses this type of permission
often. They creates a shares where other users can add files but can not
read or even list it. I saw a thread here called "How to make "Add
permission" for folder in system withntacl
support?<http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20071031.173732.50cc2cef.en.html>"
but there was no solution published. I beleive that there is a solution, I
hope so.

Hello,

It's me again, sorry for bothering. Does this problem has a solution? I need
to replace a dead Win NT 4 server qickly so please let's start a discussion.
Maby I'll need to select an filesystem other than ext3 or even the server
OS, to Solaris with ZFS for example? Please help

Thanks in advance,
Ash.
I think I did this once a couple of years ago using NT style policy and the firewall policy object. IIRC, I did it all at the file system level; each computers' SYSTEM service was allowed to write to a text file that it couldn't read. The files was owned as "root:someGroup" with 720 perms. This file was in a directory called 'logs' owned "root:someGroup" with 710 perms. The directory that 'logs' was contained within was owned by "root:someGroup" with 710 perms and was exported as a hidden share (I think I used the '$' hidden share trick), which 'someGroup' was allowed to write to. That's off the top of my head, and it may not be correct, but if you can mock it up with VMWare and a liveCD, that will at least get the ball rolling, I hope. I'm fairly sure it worked as advertised, but it never made it to production, so I didn't document it or anything.