Alan Bunch wrote:
I am currently running Red Hat v 3 samba rpm's.

samba-common-3.0.9-1.3E.14.3
samba-3.0.9-1.3E.14.3
samba-client-3.0.9-1.3E.14.3

I would like to run the current release version to see if I can clean up some of the problems I am having. File locking and not releasing are the most troubling. I am looking for advice for executing this upgrade without breaking too much, such as, configuration files being in different place from the "as distributed" vs the "Red Hat distributed" versions. This is a PDC with an LDAP back end and mostly just works.

Any advise would be helpful

Alan

Do you have either an extra box or the resources to clone your current machine to a VM? I've found this ability worth its weight in gold since you never know what's going to break until you put all the parts together. RHEL 3 to current Samba is quite a step... even if you went RHEL 3 to RHEL 5, you're jumping forward about 3 years.