Greg J. Zartman, P.E. wrote:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:38:37PM +0200, Deon Steyn wrote:
Is it possible to run Samba on Xp Pro

No.

You could run Samba in a *nix VM sitting on top of a XP host. Performance is going to suck, but it can be done.

Greg
If you go this route, make sure to set XP performance setting for background services rather than programs.

OT:
*<rant>*
/I'll never understand Windows memory management... it seems like the more hardware you throw at it, the less it uses. I've had programs that I haven't used hours cached in memory while I'm just short of thrashing with VMs running, and by the sounds of the harddrive it's not doing much of a read ahead. Sorry, just wasted about an entire day babysitting virtual machines that moved at the same pace with 256 MB RAM as a full gig, since they were starved while RAM essentially sat idle. I/O bound for linear reads on separate channels, and yet a gig of RAM sits as cache for stale programs from hours ago/.
*</rant>*