Quoting Christian Perrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Quoting Pau Garcia i Quiles ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
Quoting Karolin Seeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Release Announcements
=====================

This is the first stable release of Samba 3.2.0.

Please be aware that Samba is now distributed under the version 3
of the new GNU General Public License.  You may refer to the COPYING
file that accompanies these release notes for further licensing details.

Thanks!

Ubuntu Hardy packages are available from my PPA:
http://launchpad.net/~pgquiles/+archive

Are these some official work made under the umbrella of Canonical?

No

(being hosted on Launchpad, which is well known to be Canonical
(non-free) baby, makes this fairly non obvious whether this is an
individual work or if it's related to official releases of Ubuntu....I
doubt that there will be an official 3.2 package for Hardy, though)

I'm using the Launchpad Personal Package Archive, which is a well-known service for unofficial packages:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas

Are these based on the current packaging of Samba 3.0.* series for
various Ubuntu flavours?

No

Are these based on the work done by Debian maintainers and currently
sitting in Debian experimental?

Yes. It's based on the 3.2.0rc2 packaging from Debian you do. Look at the changelog :-)

For those who care and want some kind of official packages, there will
be Debian packages when they're ready. Certainly not as fast as they
are SuSe packages, mostly because Debian maintainers are not paid for
the work they're doing and have to do their work on their free time,
but these packages will come and will be announced.

We might be late because we have to decide whether we prepare packages
for the upcoming "lenny" release of Debian. A main blocker could be
GPLv3 as it has some impact on packages that are built against
libsmbclient (such as KDE packages).

I prepared those packages for my own use. They are 100% unofficial and unsupported.

The reason I build them and make them available from Launchpad is very simple: it's easier to me to make them publicly available from my PPA than to scp them to each and every machine I want to install them. I'm lazy, I know :-)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org